Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do your neighbors think?

Paz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neighbour to my left are very good, don't get any LP from them, they have a row of trees that blocks that out and they keep it trimmed so it does not interfere with my view of Polaris,

To my right neighbours ok, likes to know your business, have 5 dogs so they are out quite a lot but you could set your clock with them, they used to leave the outside light on for at least an hour after they came back, but now they know what I get up to they turn it off as soon as they go in, I think they feel a little safer knowing that I am in the back garden till silly o clock when the weather permits :smiley:

Neighbour opposite, well never really see them, but they are so unpredictable, you never know when they are going to turn the outside light on :rolleyes:

I'm surrounded by weirdos... Well, more weird than me being out in the cold at all hours! 

One neighbour has a passing interest, and has brought his grandkids round to see the planets, and even came over to see the solar eclipse. Another one always leaves his hallway light on (which must be a 100W mega bulb - it lights up half the street!!) when he sees I'm out. Seriously, its never left on ANY other night. Wouldn't be so bad, but there is a large glass pane above his door... :(

Another neighbour has a penchant for leaning out of her bedroom window to smoke a cig, whilst naked... She called the police on me once. Said I was perving. They came round, saw what I was doing and realised there was no way I was and admitted that if she didn't want people to look, she shouldn't really be doing it in the first place. We had a good laugh about it! 

Children from neighboring houses often come over when they see me setting up my equipment in the driveway. They want a look at Jupiter or whatever else my telescope points at. Later, during the day, they stop me to offer an interesting opinion about the planets, the universe. I feel that just a look through a telescope is enough to stimulate their interest and imagination. Likewise, adult neighbors who walk in the evening stop for a look and are often amazed at what they see. They too feel intellectually stimulated and enriched by what they see and the discussions that follow. I feel that astronomy has a huge amount to offer the neighbors and we amateur astronomers are enriched by what we can offer others.

I think i will be rather lucky at new house, i have checked it out at night and no sign of insecurity lights, only neighbours on each side as back garden has fields at end

I think i will be rather lucky at new house, i have checked it out at night and no sign of insecurity lights, only neighbours on each side as back garden has fields at end

Sounds ideal. Many happy years of prosperity, happiness, good health and clear skies to you in your new home! :)

I live in a suburb, so, in my street itself there are many neighbours, but the two nearest neighbours (right & left) are the "main" ones.

A couple of years ago, there were no people living in the right side, and the left side was a women's rental home, so nobody comes out at night.

Then a Chinese businessman renovated the right side house & moved in there. He too doesn't come out at the night often, but when he does, he gives a look (the "Hey little kid, what are you doing? :smiley: " look),and I immediately get embarrassed and go inside. :embarassed:

His wife is worse, although she comes out rarely. She might have wondered, "Is he mad, what is he doing looking up?"

Maybe they would've understood if I used a telescope, but I don't have one. 

Then about a few months ago, the women in the left side were caught bringing their friends in without them paying rent, so the owner got them out and a new Indian family moved in.

The new neighbours are almost always out chitchatting in the evenings! I don't observe the sky till everyone is inside. Luckily I didn't get "caught" by them.

I wonder are there any people who share the same neighbourhood with me.  :rolleyes:

By the sounds of your experiences I am rather fortunate, apart from the fact there are no naked women hanging out of windows :grin: .... I get on very well with all my neighbours :laugh: Surely there are others on this forum with good neighbours

I'm very lucky with my neighbours too - decent nice people - though on one side despite actually owning a small scope, there's a halogen spotlight on a PIR always waiting to ruin my dark adaption! They must think I'm weird when they see the sun parasol left out on its side from the night before as I shielded my body heat from the sensor... I have to duck and creep along the wall to get from back door to scope :)

Mine know i put the scope out, as they have seen it many times, and have even popped round to look through it. I have had it set up in the front garden for the Solar Eclipse a few weeks back, and even more neighbours came round for a look!

Matt.

Sounds like a fair range of experiences getting scopes out on an evening.

I'm neighboured by a young family and a middle aged couple. Both are pretty decent and have expressed a passing interest. I'm not out at super late hours and I'm not noisy so haven't had any issues.

Where I may get issues is next door but one on the right. If I want to view Venus or Jupiter later on at night I'm pointing the scope dangerously close to their bathroom window. They've watched me a few times but never said anything. Hopefully not gonna get abuse or police called!

My home observing site is overlooked by 3 neighbours. For one reason or other they all think I'm weird anyway. The telescope being one of my lesser eccentricities.

I'm not concerned with what they think but if they showed an interest I'd be interested too.

They all have lighting that spoils my night sky but for how often I get the scope out it isn't worth talking to them about it.

The neighbour over the back just installed 2 security cameras which potentially have sight of our garden if not our kitchen. I don't know what they currently target but perhaps they'll see me, perhaps they won't.

As it is I only talk to neighbours when "cornered".

The neighbour over the back just installed 2 security cameras which potentially have sight of our garden if not our kitchen. I don't know what they currently target but perhaps they'll see me, perhaps they won't.

Are you the reason they installed them? :D

Matt.

Are you the reason they installed them? :D

Matt.

I don't think I'm the reason :)

I'm curious as to why they did have them installed though. But asking them would mean talking to them..   :shocked:

That is a rather large rabbit you have there and was the DOB grown from a seed :laugh:

Shadow has been mistaken for a dog, they are currently a bit overweight, still hard to catch though. I guess the dob does blend in a bit amongst the plant pots.

I'd be a bit uncomfortable if neighbours had cameras pointed at my house in any situation. Fair dos if you don't want to speak to the. Condidered a high fence?

I don't really mind about the cameras. It might even deter any intruders to our garden. We do have a sloppy Labradoodle that barks like a guard dog but they have two bigger louder dogs.

They might put a higher fence up when they have to sit through hours of watching me working on my all over tan when I mowing the grass in the summer :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

My neighbours love it when I'm out and about in the gardens with the telescopes. They always come over for a look see, they don't have nor do they have any plans to install security lights, they don't mind at all if I use some of their land whenever I want to, they don't have many visiting friends and rarely hold wild rave parties and any noise I make doesn't bother them at all.

Great neighbours, but they all have 4 legs and Moo.;)

Rich...

My neighbours love it when I'm out and about in the gardens with the telescopes. They always come over for a look see, they don't have nor do they have any plans to install security lights, they don't mind at all if I use some of their land whenever I want to, they don't have many visiting friends and rarely hold wild rave parties and any noise I make doesn't bother them at all.

Great neighbours, but they all have 4 legs and Moo. ;)

Rich...

Cows are real characters aren't they.

Some years ago we were having a picnic alongside the river at Kirby Lonsdale when an inquisitive cow came over to say hello. It looked at us, inspected our stuff then walked off with a shoe it liked the look of.

How lovely :)

Archived