Cheshire OR Laser Collimator ?

I have skywatcher 10" manual Dobsonian Telescope. Recently after lot of it's bumpy physical movement here there, I am pretty sure its collimation is out of order as I am unable to get sharper images that previously I was able to get.

I am thinking to get collimator tool. When I searched the internet, mostly two types of collimator are common, one is theshire which have collimation cap with it, and second is Laser collimator.

Can someone please recommend what option to go with ? I want some cheap but better solution.

Q#1 - Which tools is easier for beginners and what is better in long terms?

Q#2 - Does both tools can collimate Primary & Secondary mirror? as I am not sure if primary is out of order or secondary ?

Images of Both tools are as follows ...

Normal Theshire

post-42956-0-67991600-1430553576.png

Long Theshire

post-42956-0-60939000-1430553606.png

& the Laser Collimator

post-42956-0-36716600-1430553627.png

I personaly would suggest learning with a Cheshire-Sighting Tube before a laser. I use both and love seeing the two agree. But first I'd look for a good collimation-guide to help one understand how to collimate. Too many are so complex that Einstein would do cartwheels in his grave! Here's one of the best - from a member here:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Please keep us informed and ask questions on any points that seem murky.

Clear & Sharp Skies,

Dave

I agree. The longer Cheshire-sight tube comb tool is the best place to start. You can collimate both the primary and secondary with it. If you need to check your collimation in the field when it's dark, simply shine a light in the reflective panel. Simple, economical, effective. What more do you need?

I use the laser collimator, it's easy to use as you don't need to keep going to the eyepiece. However it does need collimating so I built a simple Lego thing to turn it on. Some people use nails in wood

Cheshire every time, who wants to collimate the laser as well?

I want. I have a Dob. To collimate laser is not a big deal. I do it only once in a while after battery change and it holds collimation pretty well. Who wants fiddling in the dark when in the field with the Cheshire and flashlight moving to adjustments knobs and than to the Cheshire back and force? Laser collimator allows to adjust everything at once within few minutes. Barlowed collimation is quite precise technique. I need sight tube only once in a while. As usual, your mileage may vary.

For critical applications (F4 scopes and faster) only the laser collimator will do.

Laser collimator is one option for fast scopes. Other options are cheshires and autocollimators. However, it is the qualify of the tool and the knowledge how to use it that makes the difference. 

That is, not all laser collimators are the same and not all autocollimators are the same.

Jason

Many Thanks for your replies guy's. I guess I should go with CHESHIRE first (for some learning as well) ,Later I will buy laser too as collimating with laser seems to be fast and good for dark sites, Combination of Cheshire and Laser Collimator would be the best choice :)

Cheers

Archived