Getting back to the cosmos after several decades...

ramdom

Between the ages of 7-16, I had a small refractor, helped build 16" Dobsonians (complete with grinding the glass, polishing it, putting an aluminum mirror on it, etc.), saw Halley's comet and then left home for college where I forgot about astronomy mostly while I became an academic and raised a family. I still yearned for a telescope but always kept putting it off until a couple of weeks ago where I bit the bullet and got a Celestron 6SE. I saw Jupiter and four of its moon for the first time with my own eye (only one working) as well as the Toronto skyline (from my bedroom window since we live across on the lake). I tried to see DSOs but wasn't lucky and really understood why the pictures of DSOs are the way they are. I've decided to return my 6SE and get a 9.25 AVX.  It should get here next Friday and I'm excited but also impatient.  Eventually I hope to do some DSO imaging myself (mostly to get around the limitations of my eye) but for now it's mostly visual.

I joined here because in my searching I turned up a lot of useful posts (particularly in term of comparisons of telescopes) on this forum (as well as others). I'm thankful to all in the community who've made informed posts and written useful articles. 

--Ram

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, thanks a lot. If you have any recommendations or any accessories you think I should get (aside from a Dew shield) especially specific to the AVX 9.25" please do let me know. I'm particularly interested in the mounts you use and whether the AVX is good enough for both visual and imaging for the 9.25".

Hi Ram and welcome to the forum. Once astronomy is in your system its very difficult to shake it off, even after many years.

Clear skies to you and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hello Ram and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang :smiley:

I hope you really enjoy your return to astronomy and also have a great time with your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Hi Ram,

It never ceases to amaze me how many of us here are lapsed childhood astronomers. strange how life gets in the way at times!

And of course......welcome to SGL.

Archived