Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Fordos Moon

M3 Globular Cluster. A lucky shot.

6 x 300 seconds RGB with Atik 460EX on Skywatcher ED80.

post-26268-0-64052900-1430476961_thumb.j

One awaits backlash from serious purists(!)

• Like 10

Great image of M3.

Was the TIE fighter single shot? What exposure was it? Can't have been 300s or it would have motion blur.

• Like 2

A crackin mix of a lovely M3 shot and a sense of humour ... thumbs up

• Like 1

I've never captured a cluster and wondering if it could be done with the full moon this weekend. I am anxious get some data using my brand new ccd this weekend. Trying to choose a target. I can grab H-a of M81/82 but I shot that last year with my 450d and wold prefer a target I haven't worked on before.

I wouldn't do anything other than Ha if desperate to image during a full moon mate. I imaged M81/82 with Ha and then RGB when moon went, and its amazing how much more the Ha brought out compared to my Canon 1100d attempt a year ago. Check out my PIC on Facebook/starlightpictures if you get a chance and clear skies!

I have taken non NB images during quite bright moons. Sometimes you just have to take those clear skies. I find a dark corner and point Northwards. I did an evening of RGB on the Iris Nebula during a bright moon (80% moon) this week and while the images came out brighter, they are perfectly usable. This was complementing L data shot during a darker sky, but I don't limit myself to Ha only. Give it a go, the worse that can happen is that you think the results are not worth it and you have wasted a possible Ha evening. On the other hand, if you can live with it, then you have added significantly more possible evenings to imaging.

• Like 1

You guys reinforced what I suspected. It will be a Halpha weekend.

Nice, good one, you sure got me.  I didn't even notice the Tie fighter at first, I was too busy checking my charts for the bright eliptical galaxy in the frame. 

• Like 1

Great image of M3.

Was the TIE fighter single shot? What exposure was it? Can't have been 300s or it would have motion blur.

love the TIE........but, holy heck - are you referring to inherent blur in a Nikon D300s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apology to Mr Spock......I commented to his post but somehow copied in your text., bolting on my own. Newbie fingering, perhaps.

Marc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1