Howdy, all......

pilot87178d

Just registered to this site.....looks like it is really active!  I spend a lot of time in business travel and find many opportunities for evening peeks at the stars.  Dark-Sky parks in the Eastern US, Western US desert  (Nevada, New Mexico, etc), Northern Scotland, MIddle-East, Singapore, etc.  Have always used local equipment, so have never needed my own.  Am an experienced amateur photographer, so hope to merge that hobby with this one.  They are both, within reason, quite portable.

So, in order to get out of the gate,  have purchased a pair of Orion Mini-Giant 9x63 Binoculars as a portable solution to use with a monopod, or alternately, mount on one of my substantial photo tripods.

Looking forward to meeting and interacting with the team here.....am sure I will learn quite a bit!

Regards to all,

Marc    

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marc,

Welcome to SGL. You will be surprised what you can see with a pair of binos!. A couple of books to help you 'learn' the sky are 'tur left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'... Both small enough to travel with :grin: .

Download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free, to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/

Hi Marc and welcome to SGL - As an imager myself, I made the assumption that I had all of the daytime kit and so wanting to 'do it' at night as well should be a relatively easy and straightforward transition :D ............. I wonder how many other have fallen foul of this? :D 

Look forward to seeing you around, must be great to be travelling so much  :)

Hello Marc and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. I hope you really enjoy your astronomy and have a great time with your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Hi Marc,

Welcome to SGL. You will be surprised what you can see with a pair of binos!. A couple of books to help you 'learn' the sky are 'tur left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'... Both small enough to travel with :grin: .

Download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try Stellarium, its great and free, to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/

Thanks, Damian.....pocket star atlas is the one! 

Regards,

Marc

Welcome to SGL, Marc!

Baseball fan?

Dana

Indeed......raised on the New York Yankees.....Mom thought that Mickey Mantle was an absolute  diety.  She would read the Sports Section first before whacking me over the head with it if I did not finish my homework!

Thx,

Marc

Hi Marc and welcome to SGL - As an imager myself, I made the assumption that I had all of the daytime kit and so wanting to 'do it' at night as well should be a relatively easy and straightforward transition :D ............. I wonder how many other have fallen foul of this? :D

Look forward to seeing you around, must be great to be travelling so much   :)

thanks.....can certainly see how the financial side of astro-photography can get totally out of hand.....am an inveterate Nikon shooter because of their durability - was looking at a simple astro-coupler for my camera the other day @ $500.    Thankfully,  wife is somewhat indulgent in terms of the hobbies....and as long as the box gets delivered before she gets home, no harm/no foul!  :-)

Marc

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

Hey! Bedfordshire....I do a trip to nearby Duxford in Cambridge almost every year or two......fabulous, quick visit when in London on biz.....easy to get lost in the airplanes.... 

Regards,

Marc

Archived