Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Global Light Pollution Map

Peje

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the England looks light polluted unless you live in the lake district or are in Wales/Scotland.

Exmoor, Dartmoor and Bodmin aren't too bad at all, though Dartmoor and Bodmin are done no favours by the likes of Plymouth.

James

Exmoor, Dartmoor and Bodmin aren't too bad at all, though Dartmoor and Bodmin are done no favours by the likes of Plymouth.

James

The Okehampton side of Dartmoor is better , lights off at midnight and not the population density

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, this map fails to take into account that light pollutions travels further than the spot each polluting light is underneath.

For example, Las vegas' LP is still visible from the grand canyon national park... 250KM away! (It's not awful, mind, milky way is still horizon to horizon... Unlike anywhere near where I live)

I think things would be much better for us if we lived on the moon. None of that pesky atmosphere getting in the way. Although EPs would need a lot more eye relief...

A very nicely executed map.  I wonder what year the data was recorded?

Mark

Interesting thought, perhaps the info is somewhere else on the site

I'm not sure how accurate it is. It's telling me there are an awful lot of lights in central Australia - with seemingly bigger signatures that Sydney!

Bush fires.

Explanation from NASA here:  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/NPP/news/aus-fires.html

The data was acquired over "nine days in April 2012 and 13 days in October 2012"

Mark

Archived