Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An Iris Nebula

MattJenko

Afternoon All,

Here is an attempt at the Iris Nebula. I tried all kinds of things with this image, probably too many! I dithered for the first time, used drizzle for the first time and had a few processing challenges, the main one being my Lum being about 25 degrees rotated from the RGB images shot on a subsequent night. I was also short in the Blue department, which is unfortunate seeing as this is the main colour, but I gave it a go as impatience got the better of me. I also had to battle unforecast showers, middle of the night guiding failures and setting up out on my front drive to get a northern view, with all the issues and worry that brings.

Nevertheless I thought I would post it up, as it is my longest integration time on an image to date, and I am very happy with how things are going with my imaging and am glad to report I still really enjoy the whole chaotic, frustrating process.

Skywatcher ED80, HEQ5, Atik 414ex. 30 x 15 min L, 10 x 10 min R,G, 5 x 10 min B....

Feedback welcome!

75ba4621039318711199054c9d4c7546.1824x0_

Thanks All,

I actually tried to use the extracted Lum from the RGB image to fill in the gaps in the Lum stack to prevent me having to crop excessively. I had limited success. I will post a separate thread about that, as I tried a few different methods, and this was the least offensive to me, but it is still clear :)

Hmmm.. That 414 is a sensitive wee thing.. This is good. One of my fav targets.

Get your missing blue subs at least if you don't manage some more colour overall. Push the saturation in the RGB more because your seven and a half hours of Lum detail is washing it out a bit.. I love dust.. you've got loads. Before I had the Obsy, I would run masking tape down the length of the imaging train and draw a line down it. Then carefully cut the joints with a blade. That way I could re align everything when I set it up again.

Very nice Matt, but.... more blue please, lots more :)

Get your missing blue subs at least if you don't manage some more colour overall. .

"As you wish..."

Here is a lot more colour. 12 x 15min Blue and a few more R + G 10 mins for good measure. I have been processing this for pretty much the entire day, and it has been a right old struggle, but here it is anyway.

I think I need a break and possibly to start from the beginning  :shocked: !!242c770f75c2519301faaf2c5277bbbd.1824x0_

Easy does it. I've just processed some Iris sent to me by a guest, today. If you want to take on the 'massive stuctural dust' brigade on the net you need to match them in terms of vast exposure times and dark skies and, sometimes, exotically expensive super-cooled cameras. If you don't you need to go easy on what structure you can pull out of the dust. I think it is always better to take slightly too little out of the data than slightly too much. Keep zooming in and looking at the noise level. When processing dust it soon goes ballistic.

In this case, Matt, I'd settle for a little less.

Olly

Less is more. Some worthy guidance - thanks. This image has the most data I have gathered on an object by some distance, so I was getting very bogged down in trying to get the most from it. Ballistic indeed. I had restarted from the beginning about 5 times before simply posting the one above. I have done yet another reprocess from the start, but have taken a more leisurely approach this time (and significantly less time), with more emphasis on simplicity rather than detail and have just let the data I have gathered provide the detail rather than search for it. It does have a much more natural feel I have to admit, which is relief as I think I have spent more time processing this than gathering the data.

f9872bd06567b1ce17dbf61099f91d13.1824x0_

At extreme risk of going off topic : just had to say you are no slouch with a camera Russ. Thoroughly enjoyed looking at your flickr stream. May I ask how you managed those from up high shots?

Archived