Hello, I have a celestron powerseeker 127EQ. The other night I wanted to get a look at jupiter but when i looked through the eyepiece all i saw was the spider on a blury white spot. can some one tell me what to do?

Hi there,

It sounds as though either :-

1. You have not found the focus point.

2. The scope needs collimating (aligning the optics)

It is easy to pass the focus  point if you are in a hurry. Put the longest focal length eyepiece in that you have, this will give the least power and the brightest image to focus on. Take some time for your eyes to adjust. Also make sure you have give your scope enough time to cool down

This is most likely to be due to the telescope not being focused. Check which adaptots you have fitted to the focuser, it may be that you have too many attached so that the eyepiece cannot be moved far enough inwards. Whatever the problem, it will easily be resoved in the end.   :smiley: 

If a telescope is in focus, stars will look like points of light, Planets will be disks and, depending on the eyepiece, will remain as disks - though smaller or more distant planets (Uranus, Neptune, Mercury) may remain as points - but become larger disks with increasing magnification. Focus on planets so they are the smallest sized disk. This will show you the most detail.

Not to worry - you're doing fine,

Dave

Archived