New From Oregon, USA AP Questions :)

g33x0r

Hey guys,

after playing around with a 60mm refractor that was collecting dust in my step dad's garage, I decided I wanted something a little better.  His was definitely bottom of the barrel quality wise, or at least that's what it seemed like.  Any ways, I ended up getting an Orion XT8 reflector and I love it so far.  F/5.9 vs. F/12 (of the refractor).  The only eye piece that came with it was a 25mm Sirius Plossl which works awesome but with only 48x magnification definitely leaves me wanting a smaller eye piece.  Any ways, I've always been fascinated with astrophotography.  I didn't really do any research before I bought the 8" reflector but have done a bunch since and come to the conclusion that the focal distance of my reflector is too long for prime focus photography.  I've seen two approaches to fixing this, either modifying the focal distance by moving/modifying some part of the scope (either moving main mirror up, or modifying a low profile focuser to sit even closer to the secondary mirror, etc.) or by simply adding a barlow lens....

My question is, is adding the barlow somehow undesirable for AP?  I'll probably be buying one any ways just for viewing purposes, but I'm wanting to know if it will solve my problems with AP or not.  Why would someone go to all the trouble of modifying their reflector when adding a barlow would fix the issue?  Specifically with prime focus that is.  

Other details on my setup is I have a Nikon D60 with T-ring and one of the Orion variable universal adapters which you can use for either prime focus or eye piece projection (although I haven't had any even remotely focused images with either technique).  Sad to say the "best" ( I use that term loosely) images I've produced of anything were by holding up my iPhone to the eye piece for some moon shots.  

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure this is one of 100 of posts like this and I've read a lot of them but never seemed to be able to get the specific info I'm after.  

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Warm welcome to SGL. I am not an imager, however I would advise you to find your local astro group and see what others have and what may suit you best before any further purchase. Also a book that is held in high regard for imagers is 'making every photo count' this will save you hard earned cash in the long run.

Good luck with your journey,

Hi Ryan & Welcome to SGL.  If you don't get your answer in this section, try posting in the Beginners section as more people would read it there.  Good luck with the AP.

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. I am not an imager, but from what I have read on this site much will depend on the type of mount you have

Yeah I have a basic Dobsonian mount (alt-az), so any AP I do will be short exposure times unless I'm actually going for star trails (although other than centering on Polaris and getting a shot like that I don't imagine why I'd want them lol).  

Greetings and welcome to SGL! Nice folks here who love helping others, so don't be shy and do make yourself at home.

My advice on a Barlow, whether for visual or imaging use, it to get the best one possible. Nothing will make your view worse than a bad Barlow. You can find lots of info here about these lenses.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Hi Ryan and welcome to SGL, as has been recommended, it is best to post your inquiries into the Beginners equipment section and perhaps the imaging sections, where I am sure you will get a much better response than here in the Welcome section, enjoy the forum :) 

Greetings Ryan and welcome to the forum. You mentioned "the focal distance of your reflector is too long for prime focus photography". I'm no expert - and know next to nothing about reflectors - but it may be that the backfocus (backwards travel) of your focuser is insufficient to reach focus and that's probably what you meant so just a terminology thing  :) I think it's the focal point (plane) of the OTA that needs to move forward or there needs to be additional backwards travel added to the focusing mechanism but again - not really sure. I've seen posts by folks with similar questions so I'm sure this could be answered but agree it's more likley if you post it in the beginners imaging sub-forum located here - http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/184-getting-started-with-imaging/ I'm sure your scope could be adapted to achieve focus for astro-photography but that likely means purchasing additional accessories which seems to be the case for most everything in this hobby...  :(

Anyway - Good luck and clear skies!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived