SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M99

centroid

M99 was my 'target of choice' last night, after two previous attempts at this one were aborted by cloud. This time I had two good hours of clear sky, albeit I had to wait until quite late for it, finishing at 01.00 hrs.

At only 5.3 x 4.6 arc mins, this one is quite small, and at mag 9.7 not that bright.

After a recent 'tweak' of my Polar Alignment (Drift Method), this 2 hour image was guided in RA only, which was very satisfying.

12" LX200R at f/7, and 12x600sec subs with the SXVF-H9C. Combined and processed in AA4.

Dave

post-13389-133877340066_thumb.jpg

You've done fantastic with this little guy Dave. Not an easy galaxy to image it seems. It's a very small critter, only 4 mins. across.

The detail in your image belies the degree of difficulty. The Messier Albums depiction, is just a drawing it seems.

Ron. :(

Are you working your way back through the Messier list? M101 (BST POW) -> M100 -> M99 :(

Cheers

Bill£ :lol:

I hadn't seen it that way Bill, but now you come to mention it :D

No, just coincidence really. I have a look at the area where I want to image, using 'TheSky 6', in this case Coma Berenices, have a look at the 'pretty pictures', and choose one to image.

Some are more photogenic than others of course, and I tend to go for the better looking ones :shocked:

Dave

Archived