Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

garyscott

Warp capability . . . are we on the verge??

748494.jpg

NASA "may", MAY!, be on the cusp of possible Warp propulsion.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140606-NASA-May-Have-Accidentally-Stumbled-Across-Warp-Fields 

According to posts on NASASpaceFlight.com, someone at NASA wondered where the thrust came from and used a tool to measure variances in light's path-time. What this tool recorded is that when lasers are fired through the EmDrive's resonance chamber, some of the beams start moving faster than the speed of light. If everything checks out - and on the surface the math does - it means the EmDrive is producing some kind of warp field.

Watch this space??  :huh:  :shocked:  :huh:

• Like 1

"While it has yet to be confirmed, NASA engineers"... I think the opening line says it all.

When it appears on a NASA website and anyone is prepared to put their name to it, we can start taking it seriously.

In the mean time, take it with a pinch of salt.

Dr Harold 'Sonny' White leader at NASA's Advanced Propulsion Team has been investigating the use of the Alcubierre Drive as a concept for 'faster than light propulsion'. His 2011 paper Warp Field Mechanics 101 can be viewed at http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110015936.pdf for those who are interested.

• Like 1

I think any warp field created must have been measured in milli-cochranes ;)

• Like 3

Referring to the original post, it was put up solely because of the possibility. Not stating that a warp drive had been proven. But the byproduct being that laser energy had been seen to be moving at speeds faster than light, does open up new questions, and conversely, new possibilities. If this indeed has happened, and can be repeatedly proven independently, then we really will be on the verge of interesting times i feel.

Heres hoping!   

Many great discoverys have been made off the cuff / accidental, who knows, possible new science always needs to be checked out.

• Like 1

Good article.

I did recall the 'faster than light' neutrino fiasco when I saw the warp claim.

I would have thought 'atmospheric heating' a more down to Earth explanation... but not as sexy for the world of journalism.

Always remember the journalists' motto..." Never let the facts get in the way of a good story'.

Kropster + gajjer, Isn't Jolene Creighton the same freelance journo who thinks that Yellowstone will never, ever go pop?

Kropster + gajjer, Isn't Jolene Creighton the same freelance journo who thinks that Yellowstone will never, ever go pop?

I wouldn't know, but I'm with her on 'Warp' Drive.