Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

webtubbs

New stargazer

Hi All,

My lovely wife has bought me a telescope for my upcoming birthday (Celestron Astromaster 130EQ) but won't let me take it out of the box until then, so I have an anxious 3 week wait.

I've been doing a lot of reading and am thinking of getting 8mm, 13mm and 32mm EPs at some stage in the future. I've already got a 2x Barlow on the way.

For now I just have to be patient for the next few weeks before I can get out and look at the night sky!

Wayne

Tantalising!

Welcome and have fun. (And it seems like you're having fun even before you're allowed to open the box ...)

Hopefully when I finally get my hands on the scope and take it out I'll slow down a little with my wish list. My wife is already getting scared of how big it's becoming!

Greetings and welcome to SGL! We love questions here, so no need to be shy. Make yourself at home.

As you await your Big Day, you can use your eyes. And here's a great star-mapping/planetarium program to help you find your way:

http://www.stellarium.org/

It's totally free! And one of the best.

Clear Nights,

Dave

Hi Wayne,

The couple weeks wait should be no problem, since most times a new telescope makes it rain for that long ;)

Welcome to SGL.

• Like 1

Hi Wayne and welcome from a fellow aussie.

Good luck with your new scope.

Suggest you add a book such as 'Turn Left at Orion' to your shopping list.

Hi Wayne and welcome to SGL - I hope that you enjoy your time here as well as your new scope :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Thanks everyone. I've just downloaded Stellarium on both my laptop and tablet and it looks awesome! I've already checked what I might be able to see on the first night I get to take it out. There's no moon, but Saturn is high in the sky at midnight. It'd be amazing if I could see the rings on my first look, but I need to remember not to get too far ahead of myself :)

Just take it out when she is not there. One must check to see if it's damaged...just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Hello Wayne and a warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. Happy Birthday in advance. I bet your really struggling to be patient. I hope you enjoy your new hobby and your stay with your new friends here on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Hi Wayne & Welcome to SGL.  Good luck with your new scope when you finally get to use it & Happy Birthday.

Hi Wayne and welcome to SGL, enjoy your new scope when the time comes and the forum :)