Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Refractor upgrade

I have an excellent Altair 115 but have found myself with some funds with which I am contemplating a change. I do not want to go much larger and do a mix of visual and imaging. I am wondering if the takahashi TSA120 would be a suitable upgrade. Mount is ioptron ieq45 any other suggestions welcome. The problem with choosing scopes is there is rarely a chance to find one to field test especially with refractors as they are nearly always embedded in imaging set ups.

What are you looking to gain with the changeover? 

The Takahashi TSA120 is probably the sharpest and best 120mm refractor I have ever looked through.  It is a true apochromat which star tests beautifully and displays no CA.

It cools relatively quickly for a triplet. I haven't seen or used an Altair 115 so cannot compare the TSA with your scope.  The TSA120 weighs about 7.5kg so your mount will easily handle it.

Depending on how good the Altair is, the difference may not be earth shattering.  In this game it seems you have to pay double for that last 5-10% of quality.  

I've recent come to the conclusion that those with a passion for astronomy, be it visual or AP, should own a Tak at least once and at least for awhile. Living in a region where I'm highly unlikely to run into one in its natural environment, I would've always wondered what owning one was like. Regardless of which telescope I purchased, to me, it would've always felt like like I compromised. I would've convinced myself that they're over hyped and over priced, while inside I cried. I am not saying that they are or are not the best, just that most people have questions that will only be answered by owning one. Even if you buy one and after a week think "don't get what the big deal is. Not for me" at least the questions you had were answered. When buying a scope remember that, compromise is the destroyer of dreams, but the savior of cash [emoji6]

Now, if you've already owned a Tak, please disregard everything I've said and replace it with....

Get the TSA120! The finest view from one of the finest refractors that ever there were. Wait, what was your question again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the TSA if you're wanting the best visual and imaging refractor in the world.

Think about it. Takahashi never boast about their scopes, they don't hand out certificates to prove the quality of their optics as if that proves anything. They are not influenced by current fashion trends, they simply let the scopes speak for themselves. They have an almost cult following and for a very good reason. They are optically top of their league.

Mike :-)

I use two Taks (not the TSA120) and have had one other. I've also reviewed the 115. If a fairy godmother asked me which I'd prefer I'd say the Tak but if I had to pay for the difference myself I probably wouldn't. Any difference will be slight. I'd be more inclined to try something else as well as, rather than instead of, the 115. The biggest difference between the AA and the Tak will not be the optics but the focuser.

I'm not a reflex Tak worshipper. I wouldn't buy either a Sky 90 or an FS60, for instance. I don't think they're good enough for the price. But the TSA120 would be on the desirable list.

You'd have a good chance of picking up a TEC140 inside £4000. They are very good, they really are...

Olly

Archived