Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great seeing conditions this evening !!

John

I've been observing the Moon and Jupiter in the evening sky for the past hour with my 12" dobsonian. While there are some gusts of wind now and then the seeing conditions seem to be superb :smiley:

454x is giving really sharp views of both the lunar and Jovian surface features. Fine detail such as the rille in the Alpine Valley on the Moon are showing themselves very well just now. Hope it lasts for a few hours !

I have just packed away the little 127 mak, very good views to say not cooled properly and not dark  but at x 120 very nice with plenty of detail, only had a short session as work early tomorrow as usual

I've been looking at the Apollo 15 landing are near the Hadley Rille. I've spotted the cluster of low hills and a crater dubbed the "North Complex" by NASA. It's around 3km from the Apollo 15 lander. First time I've managed to see this feature.

Rima Hyginus looks fabulous and full of crater chains and the nearby finer network of rilles around the crater Triesnecker are very nicely resolved.

Lovely :grin:

Excellent sky over here in Norway too. 

"moon" hopped to jupiter while the sun was still up, just early enough to observe the shadowtransit of Europa.

Spend most of the time observing the moon though.

The "pyroclastics"  on Mare Vaporum looks so new/fresh compared to the rest of the surface.

Picked up Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin craters easily, and planned to look at the Apollo 15 area, but somehow forgot it.

While the inside of the Aristillus crater was still in the shadows (most of it), I saw 3 bright spots there, maybe it was sunlight on top of the 3 mountains within the crater?

Rune

X450! In this country?

It's rare Paul - thats why I commented on it. Normally 200x / 265x is the max worthhile on Jupiter with my 12" scope and around 300x on the moon. This evening things seemed a bit special :smiley:

I'm doing some faint fuzzies now.

Wonderful clear sky here to. Just got done with a 2 hour session. Started with the moon. You were right John, I don’t need any filters to view the moon with either my 30mm or 9mm on my 12” dob. I definitely need to start learning the topography of the moon. Actually found  and tracked M3 and Arcturus intentionally instead of accidentally. And also spent some time with Jupiter. Great stargazing session!

Wow that does sound good. Evening was clear here then patchy cloud rolled in just as the Sun ducked below the horizon. Wish I'd stayed up later because this morning is beautifully clear again.

x450!!! I look forward to the day!

Archived