Narrowband

Astronomer's (Observing!) "Dating Agency"?

God I thought i was the only one who had problems getting out to observe, (I live in a flat in Light Polution central)

I tried to go to the Washington Wetlands Centre which is where the Sunderland Astronomical Society have there Obsy but all was locked up and i set up in he car park, probably not the best idea but i had not been able to use my scope for about 9 months so i gave it ago.

I got all set up just before it got dark, about half an hour after sundown cars began to arrive but leave without stopping. This actually made me giggle a bit as i imagined a frustrated romeo at the wheel, but about an hour or so into my observing a car came and faced me about six feet away and put his lights on full beam, this made me shake and i quickly packed up and left.

I know i was lucky and i know it could have ended much worse so i would love to be able to get together with other astronomers when the weather permits.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something like this may be easier if initially at least arranged via a tenuous link to an astronomical society.

I live in N Herts and have often thought it a shame that LDAS do not have more informal open meeting for people with easily portable scopes at Standalone Farm. It is not floodlit, nor completely dark, and has decent access and parking.

Perhaps people in a club could arrange to use the clubs observing ground and advertise the gathering on this site.

Anyone play golf? Golf courses are oftan in the middle of nowhere and have car parks. The club may not mind people meeting up at the end of one of their carparks and setting up, also at this time of year people could find each other first at the 19th hole.

Another point that I see on many forums is that it is always useful to know roughly where a person is located just having the county in their profile helps enormously. On another forum someone asked about binoculars I said that visiting the birdfair at Rutland Water would be a good idea. Wasn't as they lived in Glasgow.

Good point about astro societies. I joined my local one last year and while not being overtly unfriendly it was definitely a 'I've been here 30 years and that's my chair' sort of place. Now I'm not a shrinking violet, I can talk to people easily but by God, it was hard work. Again, not unfriendly but you certainly felt like you were there to pay your subs and be quiet. I don't go anymore :) . No wonder they are struggling for members.

Hi Guys I think that's a great idea I'm near Lewes in East Sussex and I have a static observatory setup but also a 14" dob I can take out to sites. I don't really know any likeminded folks down this way though and you don't seem to get that kind of spontaniety needed to for the UK weather :)

Anyway if there's anyone local who is interested in popping over for an oberving session then let me know.

On a similar topic, I thought Kelling was great fun this year bigger than ever - it's a shame there isn't something like that in the South East too because that would be a great excuse to get out and observe with other folks. Nick

God I thought i was the only one who had problems getting out to observe, (I live in a flat in Light Polution central)

I tried to go to the Washington Wetlands Centre which is where the Sunderland Astronomical Society have there Obsy but all was locked up and i set up in he car park, probably not the best idea but i had not been able to use my scope for about 9 months so i gave it ago.

I got all set up just before it got dark, about half an hour after sundown cars began to arrive but leave without stopping. This actually made me giggle a bit as i imagined a frustrated romeo at the wheel, but about an hour or so into my observing a car came and faced me about six feet away and put his lights on full beam, this made me shake and i quickly packed up and left.

I know i was lucky and i know it could have ended much worse so i would love to be able to get together with other astronomers when the weather permits.

Scary . . . I have been in that exact same carpark myself. And live in the exact same town? Found any good spots?

Interesting stuff reading this thread.

It's why I started HantsAstro - I just wanted to observe with like minded people but hate lots of rules and cliques. I aimed for 6-12 people and have 90 so far! From Poole to North London to Newhaven. The biggest obstacle is find safe sites that and are free to use. It takes some finding and some organising. So effectively the only way forward is a 'club' of some sort. I like the Scottish observers group, but anything like this has to run by someone, and that takes effort...

Our membership is free, and so is using some of the sites we are using or intend to use, because a lot of people just want to get out and observe. The weather conspires against us and we try to meet 3 times a month, twice seems achievable and that's more than some groups. In time this will improve, but we've only been going six months and getting unlimited access to sites, telling people you're there is quite a task and is a work in progress. It also requires trust. That is what this all boils down to.

Yes, we have an (simple) application form, but you do need to have some kind of 'filter' otherwise there is no security at all. But getting access to sites at the right time is not always easy, and when you do, there's no guarantee you'll get the numbers to turn up. I'm not for one for observing in far flung public places either, too many horror stories.

We have to sing for our supper too, in order access these sites, we offer promotion and support as a group. Bartering it's called in old money. Our free magazine takes three solid days to complete every month, so we can do what we do as a group. Without it, I guess we would have little to offer any site and would be charged.

Our group is also an experiment, an example of something else. We don't charge subs... or get grants. It's also run without a formal committee. Clique-proof. Free membership means the group has to offer something or people won't join, and if they don't like it what it has or disagree, they won't stay, especially if it's free. Egos won't work here on purpose, even mine. :) Elements of what we do could be adopted elsewhere, we'll see.

This thread has been widely read, so while I think the idea of a 'dating agency' is a good one, and could be done someone, somewhere has to run it - and if you pay for that sort of service (how would it be funded?), safety is going to be the issue and probably a pre-requisite, as well as liability regrettably. Not everyone is nice.

Once you got your buddy(ies), then where do you go????

I'm sure this is the main reason why people join clubs and then leave. Can't find a (suitable) buddy. Astro_Baby said to me once that this is the one hobby where you don't have to join a club in order to pursue astronomy, though it's nicer if you do. I agree.

Yes, why can it just be simple?

David.

Hants sounds great and is just the kind of thing I'm looking for but it will be difficult for me to get out there unless it's a weekend camping thing. I'm not too fussed about security actually but then I'm male etc. If we had a "hub" meeting points in the South East, South West and so-on - for example a local pub and everyone joined via the forums I imagine that would probably work quite well. Nick

Hants sounds great and is just the kind of thing I'm looking for but it will be difficult for me to get out there unless it's a weekend camping thing. I'm not too fussed about security actually but then I'm male etc. If we had a "hub" meeting points in the South East, South West and so-on - for example a local pub and everyone joined via the forums I imagine that would probably work quite well. Nick

OK Nostromo,

We are working on using several sites throughout Hampshire over the next 12 months. First we taking a plane and aerially mapping Hampshire planned in December, outside of controlled airspace to find more dark sky sites. Also, we'll be able to measure the extent of light pollution. We already have options on other sites on top of the two we use regularly, but will be using this info initially for a IYA2009 Sidewalk Astronomy Roadshow we are planning. We are also planning a Festival in April 2009, so you can camp over!

We are looking to work with the Campaign for Rural England and The National Trust in opening up certain sites for purely ad-hoc observing use. Naturally they may want something in exchange. Our magazine is pimped for this purpose...

It's called the Astro-South project, and the idea based from this SGL thread could be used to create smaller versions of our group and use our free e-zine to tie it all together. However, the logistics of arranging this are big and we require partners and volunteers to run these smaller groups, and therein lies those issues as discussed.

All we can do is provide a platform that we know is working and are uniquely placed to make it work on a larger scale. We have a higher than average ratio of women joining, because it's safe and not intimidating at any level. 70% are members who are new to the club scene, 30% from existing groups, who are members of both! We offer free membership so as not to undermine revenue from local AS's. We offer an alternative, that's all. We don't do lectures. They cost, and often talk place on starry nights.

It would be up to each mini-group to take care of itself. We would also promote astronomy groups in the area to help, but this is something they should be doing but are too insular and as read, which why many go solo in the first place.

Any takers? I could do with some more help as it's a big project, even for us. It's about getting more people into astronomy and using their telescopes in darker skies. Cheaply and safely. Everyone can win.

Would that be workable? I believe it is.

What are the downsides?

David

• 2 weeks later...

In a way I am lucky because I have a garden, the real problem is light pollution I live very close to Gatwick Airport.

The idea of going to a dark area to observe is great but again the issue of safety for self and equipment is a major problem in the Crawley area. So I would be interested in teaming up with some like minded people in the Sussex area if possible.

Any takers? I could do with some more help as it's a big project, even for us. It's about getting more people into astronomy and using their telescopes in darker skies. Cheaply and safely. Everyone can win.

Hi David sounds like a viable idea assuming anyone is interested in this down my way. The problem is that I don't have enough time to co-ordinate due to work overload. Having said that I'd be happy to bring out and share scopes and give people lifts from Lewes to wherever they need to be and contribute as a member. Best, Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys I went down to Arlington last night and met up with Bob, Steve and other members from the Eastbourne AS.

It was really nice to observe there. It's dark enough, near a very friendly local pub (I arrived 30mins early it seems) and because it's at the Arlington village hall, we had a large warm area to go to with tea & biscuits.

Anyway, the skies were clear, and I brought a proptype scope along and we did some good scanning of the widefield showpiece objects with the Ethos. Plenty of space for scopes and parking.

So to sum it up it was really nice to meet everyone and to do some sociable observing. Joining was quick an easy I just gave Bob and tenner and my address details, and basically that was it.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

One simple help to anything like this, and I know I am guilty of it as I have just checked, but very few profiles display the persons general location. County is a fair guide and doesn't really give away much.

It would be a start if I read that someone was wondering if there was anyone on this site to go observing with if I knew they might be within a reasonable distance. At least I would know if it were worth responding.

Archived