SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

tracking M3

Found m3 tonight by chance and tracked it for quite some time. Switched from My junk 30mm to my junk 9mm and it really popped. It was very cool, but with that junk 1.25” 9mm plossl, it moved quick. the pic is from wiki...

M3LRGB_891x674.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I laughed out loud at that. I too always try to finish a session with a big bright globular. I find they all have different characteristics. M13 has a distinct 'H' shape of brighter stars, and the three dark lanes. M3 is always stunning, like a heap of diamond dust. M5 I find to be untidy, with clumpy streamers. Just messy. I love that I can see hundreds of stars in it, though. M92 is small and compressed, with a box of brighter stars that initially make the object look rectangular.

I long for the day when I can travel south to observe the southern globulars. Even from my wintry northern latitudes, M22 resolves quite easily. It's probably my favourite globular.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived