SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81 and M82 IFN LHaRGB

Steve 1962

Thanks for your suggestion Earl - it's raining here tonight- so I've had a (rather extended) play with the image again in PI with the aim of controlling the star saturation,size and "harshness", as well as controlling the noise in the IFN with the aim of bring more of it to the fore.

I've lost some contrast / detail in the galaxies, but I think that's compensated for with a much smoother, dustier image. 
post-6387-0-11875000-1430280483_thumb.jp
I've also attached an annotated image (done with the PI scripts) to help spot the small fuzzies in the far distance.
post-6387-0-65644000-1430280509_thumb.jp
The full sizes are here:
As always, thanks for looking and any comments / suggestion are very welcome.
All the best 
Steve

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Earl - I'm pleased you like it - it took me hours of very careful processing last night to get there. I tryed to bring the contrast / detail back up a bit using all sorts of tools, but it started to look like v1 and the noise just ramped up again ...so I gave up and went to bed.

I'm going to leave it there me thinks .....maybe!

Thanks for your feedback - has that FT turned up yet??

Steve

Oh, all that NR. It's the first thing I see. The image has lost too much of its character. Personally I'd use layers in Ps and let the NR/de-haloed one through from the bottom where it was really needed. I'm sure I'd like a little of it applied selectively but not as much as in the image immediately above. Mind you these things are very personal.

Olly

Steve, when do you do noise reduction? did you use ACDNR? if so try using wavlets before stretching, Harry has a tutorial for it, I tend to lower his settings and maybe do it twice.

Thanks Olly - I'm just off to the doctors to get my head seen to. Know any good builders who are any good at rebuilding walls?

Classic case of working on it into the wee hours maybe?

Hehheh, welcome to the insane world of the DS imager...

Olly

If you're using Pixinsight, have a look at TGVDenoise. I followed one of Harry's tutorials the other night and it seemed to give a much smoother final product?

It's still a fantastic image either way.

Horses for courses :)

Phil

Archived