Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

michael.h.f.wilkinson

April 23, 2015: Huge proms and eruptions going on over lunch

Had the SolarMax-II out again over lunch. Clouds were not behaving as they should (i.e. they were overhead, being a pest, they should move to the Sahara where people would appreciate them more). However, between the gaps I spotted a HUGE prom in on the 1 - 2 o'clock position (all of that region), if looked more like a forest than a mere hedgerow. Another big prom was visible at 11 o'clock, and one long thin half arc sprouted at 9 o'clock, arcing its way northwards in an almost perfect quarter circle. Several sunspots were visible with attendant plage and filaments on the disk. At the end of the session a bright mushroom sprouted underneath the half arc at 9 o'clock. Clearly a flare going off. A camera crew visiting us came over to see what the excitement was all about, and they were most impressed. Couldn't follow the remainder of the flaring action as clouds rolled in. Hopefully the proms will still be there when I go home (the weather seems to be clearing, so I may be able to image a bit)

• Like 3

Just stopped work for some solar lunch. Munching with the Quark.

And, yes, WOW!

That prom, or series of proms, at approx 1 o'clock is indeed huge.

Back out for more...

The taller component is now starting to loop off to the right.

To my warped imagination, it's beginning to look like a witch with a very long nose.

Wonderful stuff...

You guys are determined that I'm going to get little work done this week!!  Just back from my Viva (seemed to go OK thankfully!), plumber just arrived to fit a new tank (asking what's happening on the Sun - convert??), got work to do, but maybe 10 minutes visual before I get going.... :rolleyes:

Helen

• Like 1

Well worth a look!

The t'other side is also fairly busy, as Michael pointed out.

That long, thin arc, around 9 o'clock, looks beautiful.

Enjoy folks!

Cheers

Simon

The only plumbing he will be doing in the future will be a short tube with an etalon inside and glass either end ;)

That prom is HUGE. anchored clearly to the photosphere and the top is so flat. The surface is really busy too,not had much of a chance cos of the cloud coming over. This gives me chance to read my new book. 33deafb5072acc00a115020747f3f0e9.jpg

Wow (again!) well worth the look  :grin:

Camera calling......  :evil:

Resistance is futile..... :rolleyes:

Just finished fixing mountain bike so setting up Lunt 50 now.

Oh yes, that feature is big. I'm a solar novice by the way. Is it the same one as yesterday exposed by solar rotation?

It is the same one and it will be rotating onto the disc in a few days. What shape it will be in no one knows. It will become a filament once on the disc. (prominence when viewed on the limb and filament when viewed on the disc)

• Like 1

Just got in, have to get wifes lunch then I'll be out, had a look on Gong looks good, weather looks good.  :glasses9:

Dave

Been watching on and off during the afternoon. Amazing stuff, as said, the forest prom is massive, and the other activity really lovely too. Some quite fast moving stuff going on, regular changes visible.

Get out there if you can!!!

• Like 2

Out now, had a quick look through the Quark while waiting for it to warm  up lovely proms, am now imaging them.

Dave

Really milky seeing here  :huh:  but visually can still see how HUGE this thing is (plumber impressed again :grin: - did say his wife couldn't understand what he was getting excited about yesterday, but he said to her you just have to see it!)

Helen

Just returned from holiday so no solar viewing for 5 days. However, I just set up the PST and WOW that is large - came back in to see if it had been reported. Clearly another fine solar display viewed by many members.

After great problems setting up my equipment finally saw Sun through the Quark 30mins ago what a great first view

• Like 1

Just noticed a thin prom stretching out at about 220 degrees - in fact a number of interesting objects along the south/west horizon

• Like 1

Yes, there's some nice stuff going on down there too Mark, if you can tear yourself away from the monster!!!!! :-)

Absolutely cracking views, I thought I was going to miss them.

Luke the caterpillar on steroids on the top there, Just how big is that ? and as others have said beautiful events all over the show. Purely by chance I noticed that tuning the quark to the far right (if you have the adjuster knob facing you ) dramatically enhances the proms (40mm vixen) :shocked:

• Like 2

Just checking gong in the hope that the fog burns off soon and the large hedgerow is still there but more surprisingly that faint almost loop at about 4 o'clock on the disc is still intact.

I hope there are no clouds behind all this muck.

Clouds here supposed to clear :)

Dave

Absolutely cracking views, I thought I was going to miss them.

Luke the caterpillar on steroids on the top there, Just how big is that ? and as others have said beautiful events all over the show. Purely by chance I noticed that tuning the quark to the far right (if you have the adjuster knob facing you ) dramatically enhances the proms (40mm vixen) :shocked:

Supposed to be something to do with them being further away I think, have tried the occasional twiddle but not seen this effect, will have another try.

Dave