Narrowband

April 23, 2015: Huge proms and eruptions going on over lunch

Had the SolarMax-II out again over lunch. Clouds were not behaving as they should (i.e. they were overhead, being a pest, they should move to the Sahara where people would appreciate them more). However, between the gaps I spotted a HUGE prom in on the 1 - 2 o'clock position (all of that region), if looked more like a forest than a mere hedgerow. Another big prom was visible at 11 o'clock, and one long thin half arc sprouted at 9 o'clock, arcing its way northwards in an almost perfect quarter circle. Several sunspots were visible with attendant plage and filaments on the disk. At the end of the session a bright mushroom sprouted underneath the half arc at 9 o'clock. Clearly a flare going off. A camera crew visiting us came over to see what the excitement was all about, and they were most impressed. Couldn't follow the remainder of the flaring action as clouds rolled in. Hopefully the proms will still be there when I go home (the weather seems to be clearing, so I may be able to image a bit)

You guys are determined that I'm going to get little work done this week!!  Just back from my Viva (seemed to go OK thankfully!), plumber just arrived to fit a new tank (asking what's happening on the Sun - convert??), got work to do, but maybe 10 minutes visual before I get going.... :rolleyes:

Helen

Been watching on and off during the afternoon. Amazing stuff, as said, the forest prom is massive, and the other activity really lovely too. Some quite fast moving stuff going on, regular changes visible.

Get out there if you can!!!

Really milky seeing here  :huh:  but visually can still see how HUGE this thing is (plumber impressed again :grin: - did say his wife couldn't understand what he was getting excited about yesterday, but he said to her you just have to see it!)

Helen

Absolutely cracking views, I thought I was going to miss them.

Luke the caterpillar on steroids on the top there, Just how big is that ? and as others have said beautiful events all over the show. Purely by chance I noticed that tuning the quark to the far right (if you have the adjuster knob facing you ) dramatically enhances the proms (40mm vixen) :shocked:

Just checking gong in the hope that the fog burns off soon and the large hedgerow is still there but more surprisingly that faint almost loop at about 4 o'clock on the disc is still intact.

I hope there are no clouds behind all this muck.

Absolutely cracking views, I thought I was going to miss them.

Luke the caterpillar on steroids on the top there, Just how big is that ? and as others have said beautiful events all over the show. Purely by chance I noticed that tuning the quark to the far right (if you have the adjuster knob facing you ) dramatically enhances the proms (40mm vixen) :shocked:

Supposed to be something to do with them being further away I think, have tried the occasional twiddle but not seen this effect, will have another try.

Dave

Archived