Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power supply potential

3939a3c3a040355fe16186516032b866.jpg I've just squired one of these to power my set up.

I think I'll be able to power the scope and dew controller via 12v output. Camera or my skywatchers star adventurer via 5v USB x2.

It's tiny compared to the car starter pack I'm currently using.

What do the members who know their electronics think it will perform like? Likely length of use before needing a charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claims on the front seem a bit odd:

It will recharge a laptop 4 times but a tablet twice.

And if you think about it it is saying 2 tablet charges equals 20 diesel cars start ups. Anyone compared the simple size of a diesel battery to a tablet one?

Very interesting. At 15aH it will probably last a similar time to the power pack you already have but be less cumbersome.  However when researching for a Lion motorbike battery it advised against using them in cold weather.  So you might have to keep it warm somehow.

Hello Palatine!

Field use factors such as temperature and real device consumption may vary but you can make a rough estimation of your total gear energy requirements,

by checking each device you use for its maximum rated power requirements and halve those values to get a mean value.

Quick example

The advertised capacity of the battery is 15Ah.
HEQ5 PRO operates at 12v x1A which translates to 12watts for every hour of use (if it operates at maximum power which is when slewing for example).
Similarly a dew heater for a ED80 (110mm diameter) is around 2.4watts at operating at 100%
A Canon 350D is rated 7.4 V × 1.08 Ah = 7.99 Wh , though in a typical imaging session consumes 2 watts/ hour.

So for a light setup if the battery is as advertised in capacity ( and can indeed discharge 15.000mah)
Mount: 7 watts
DSLR camera: 2 watts
Dew Heater (main scope): 1 watt
Rough total 10 watts

The battery can provide (at 12v volts)  12Vx15Ah = 180Wh
So if an imaging session lasts for 8 hours you would then need 120 watt-hours which in turn can be covered by this battery.

Great news chaps.

Thanks for the replies

Look at the size of the thing. These could be the future.

I'll be putting it in my camera carry case to keep it warm and dry. I'll let you know how I go on.

Looks pretty impressive to me , even the tiny one would be handy for those impromptu outings away from home , only 7-1/2 Ah but fits in your pocket ... ideal for a grab and go trip after aurora or meteors ... :smiley:

http://thejumpingjack.com/product/superlite/

I was shown that one too, by the rep that was selling them ( I own a car repair business) it's tiny and still very capable.

• 4 weeks later...

So... I've had nowt but clouds since I bought this but. I've made a 2.1mm power plug to cigarette lighter lead. This was quite simple and took 5 mins with a soldering iron.

I'll check it works ok later

fa08d70bd5dff088295ef2cbbfde1a3d.jpg7f8c3f682deebe1e08fcae2b5d842858.jpg75b131bee9ceced95e1100ccaae0f631.jpgebe1e94ecb5285d36f91dcebf9da7de0.jpg

Looks pretty impressive to me , even the tiny one would be handy for those impromptu outings away from home , only 7-1/2 Ah but fits in your pocket ... ideal for a grab and go trip after aurora or meteors ...  :smiley:

http://thejumpingjack.com/product/superlite/

Now that exactly answers a question my Minitower was asking.

Namely, it always slews the shortest path to a subject, so unless you keep track of your viewing across a night, cord wrap is almost certain. I've been looking for something with a bit more juice (and neater) than 8x AA rechargables velcro'd to the rotating top section of the mount - Run it across the afternoon for solar and the AAs will die if you continue into the evening.

The Superlight, if it performs to spec, has nearly three times the capacity of even Eneloop Pro AAs and that's rather good. Heck! That will run the LX200 for most of a night. That it will charge for a 12v source (VW Camper has 80Ah leisure battery) is just creamy!

I think I'll wait until my first pay cheque in five months arrives tomorrow and spring for one, unless I find anything bad about it on the interweb tonight!

Russell

Now that exactly answers a question my Minitower was asking.

I think I'll wait until my first pay cheque in five months arrives tomorrow and spring for one, unless I find anything bad about it on the interweb tonight!

Russell

post anything you find on this thread please.

I think this could be the future though....

especially for "grab n go" set ups

Archived