Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyPlanner - free software for planning stargazing nights

GuLinux

Hello, I would like to introduce you a software I've written mainly for astronomy session planning: SkyPlanner.

It's mostly targeted to visual observer, although its large objects database can also be useful to get data for astronomical imaging.

It's a free software (free as in freedom, it's open source).

A basic usage guide (maybe a bit outdated) is on its dedicated page on my blog/website.

In here I would like to just highlight its main functions, and to give a bit of support if needed:

• Location based session planning, with objects ephemeris (solar system and deep sky objects rise-transit-set, moon phase, twilight calculation)
  • Powerful suggestions engine, based on location, date and instruments.
  • weather forecast
  • printable lists
  • digitized sky survey images integration
  • Reports generation
  • Lots of catalogues available (not only Messier and NGC/IC, but also Barnard Dark Nebulae, Caldwell, Abell galaxy clusters, Shakhbazian, Arp)

The generated session plan (click "Preview with images", then "print") is by default sorted by transit time: this way you'll always have a sort of "playlist" to go through the night without having to "jump" too much through the sky, or calculating the best time to view your objects. It contains dss images (invertable, to save ink, or removable, to save even more ink :p ), objects main data, and your personal notes.

​Probably the best feature is the suggestion engine: it's very useful, and it can be highly customized using filters (by magnitude, angular size, constellation, transit time, and much more).

Downsides: probably still a bit too buggy, I'm still developing it a lot. Also it lacks lots of documentation, there are a lot of minor features, but quite hidden.

Some objects can also be duplicated, if this happens, feel free to report them using the "feedback" menu item.

Don't feel shy about feedback: I'd need both positive and negative comments to improve this application, if you feel it might be useful.

Clear skies!

Marco

Well, it seems to be available in vizier, so yes, it can be done..

Now I'm mostly in a quite long bug-fixing phase, then I already planned to import the Hickson catalogue, and a few other, and I might add the UCAC4 too :)

Okay after giving it a go and planning my session for tonight I have got the following verdict.

The program is awesome i really do like it and it would definitely use it for my sessions.

What I would like to see thou is the following.

* I would like to have an option to select North, East, West or South. I only have visibility in the West, South/West and South. I actually had to go into Stellarium to see where to objects are before i could add them to make sure they are visible at my location.

*After planning a session I would like a print to PDF or JPG option as I don't have internet available at my setup station in order to see my session notes. 

Other then that I really like the program and its seriously something I would consider for use before any session.

Congrats again man and well done, that is some nice coding you did there :)

This is just the sort of thing I was looking for. Definitely trying it out. Thanks Marco!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thank you :)

Okay after giving it a go and planning my session for tonight I have got the following verdict.

The program is awesome i really do like it and it would definitely use it for my sessions.

Thanks for the feedback!

What I would like to see thou is the following.

* I would like to have an option to select North, East, West or South. I only have visibility in the West, South/West and South. I actually had to go into Stellarium to see where to objects are before i could add them to make sure they are visible at my location.

I need to think a bit better about it.. it's a bit generic since it also depends on observing time, but maybe it can be bound to a certain time, or to a the entire session window.

But yes, I think it's possible to do it..

*After planning a session I would like a print to PDF or JPG option as I don't have internet available at my setup station in order to see my session notes.

Well, this is not entirely in the scope of a web application.. yes, it's possible to generate a pdf, but it's a bit overcomplicated, and since browsers can do that much better, that's the approach I've been using.

I'm going to recommend Google Chrome, it's the one I mostly used to test SkyPlanner, and it's possible to print to pdf by default in it.

I think there's a similar option on Firefox, anyway, and Internet Explorer should be able to print to an Office document.

Which one are you using?

@Gasman: thanks for noticing, I have to give a proper look to that, for instance, removing the dialog and showing registration in a proper (scrollable) page.

In the meantime, as a workaround, I added a "close" icon (X) to the footer, and reduced lots of fonts size in the registration dialog, this way you should have much more room to see the registration button.

Also, you might try to hit the F11 key to see the application full screen.

@sctb78 I just noticed you were logged in while I applied the changes above just right afterI restarted the web server... sorry I interrupted your session :p

@Gasman: thanks for noticing, I have to give a proper look to that, for instance, removing the dialog and showing registration in a proper (scrollable) page.

In the meantime, as a workaround, I added a "close" icon (X) to the footer, and reduced lots of fonts size in the registration dialog, this way you should have much more room to see the registration button.

Also, you might try to hit the F11 key to see the application full screen.

Hi again Marco

Still getting the same screen as before (f11 on my laptop just mutes sound but tried the others ;-)) Any chance of moving the `accept` button next to the Google one where I can click on it? Managed to close the footer!

post-15973-0-13391300-1430146974_thumb.p

regards

Steve

You might try to hit F11 together with the Fn key ;)

Anyway, retry now.

I removed the dialog, this way the register page should be much more scrollable, and there should be also much more space available.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been giving this a go, Keep getting a database error :sad:

Update maybe?

Be real handy for the Mrs and I :grin:

Hi!

Don't worry, I just had to give my server a major update...

Now it's back to work, feel free to try it!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried logging in via multiple browsers, but no luck. All I get is my username displayed next to a Logout button. The rest is blank. Is the site still functional? Sounds really cool, I'd love to try it out.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, I didn't get a notification for your post.

I don't know if your problem got eventually solved, but I did a few maintainance jobs the last weeks, could you verify if now it works for you?

Thanks

Marco

• 2 months later...

Archived