Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elementary imaging

As a new member, and completely new to astronomy,  I must apologise if this subject had been covered exhaustively in the past.  Having just observed the first sliver of a crescent moon through a 27mm lens with 2xBarlow my first thought was "I have to share this with the family in England."  So I've been scouring French websites for low cost planetary cameras and have focussed (?) on this one.

http://www.astronome.fr/produit-cameras-ccd-et-acc-camera-pentaflex-planetaire-13mp-1248.html

As the description is all in French a Google translation follows:

Planetary Pentaflex 1.3 Mp camera is a powerful imager for solar system objects with a resolution of 1.3 megapixels and works with most instruments. It is designed to deliver color images of the planets and the lunar and solar surface.

This camera is equipped with a CMOS color sensor of 1/2 '' to 1280 x 1024 pixels. The connection to the computer is done via USB 2.0. The camera can operate in either shooting or shooting or Video mode at up to 15 frames per second. It comes with the software WebCam Companion (in English). Runs under Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / W7.

Now you can easily capture high resolution color images of the Sun, Moon and planets. The software comes with 1.3 Mp camera planetary Pentaflex allows you to easily capture your images.

It has a color CMOS sensor 1/2 '' delivering pictures in 1280 x 1024 pixels with pixel size of 5.2 x 5.2 microns. Work converter 24-bit RGB (8 bits per layer). It can deliver images at 30 frames per second. The sensor has an IR-CUT filter. 

The various camera components Pentaflex Planetary 1.3 Mp 

The camera is powered directly by the computer via the USB port (Hi-Speed ​​USB 2.0 recommended). 

Supplied with flowing 31.75mm and 24.5mm

Obviously this is a Google translation so may not be accurate in all aspects but I hope you get the picture (?)

The cost, delivered, equals about £60

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

I've never heard of the make, but suspect that at £60 it would be worth a punt.

First thing to say is that you should never image the sun without proper filters etc. I only mention this because it mentions imaging the sun in the translation.

The blurb says 30frames/s, but the specification says 15 frames/s, the thing to watch out for is compression in the video to get the 30/s. Although USB2 should be able to handle it ok.

I would be surprised if an astronomy shop would sell a lemon. Astronomy is very niche and they wouldn't survive long by selling rubbish.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Ant

Salut and welcome to the forum. I can't help you with that specific camera but I have bought stuff from the shop in Lorient as its my nearest Astro shop only being a couple of hours away.

The guy that owns it really seems to know his stuff and will happily give you advice about what you really need rather than selling you what he wants to sell.

The shop is a bit of an Aladins cave though, so beware if you should visit.;)

I would say that he is a genuine enthusiast, and no I am not connected in any way.

Best,

Rich

Thank you both.  Brittany is a bit off track for my regular passage between Channel ports and here but I thought their website spoke quality.  I'll give it a go, I think.  I do have a solar filter but that does not interest me at present but the warning is appreciated Ant.

For anyone who has been following this thread you may be interested to know the camera arrived today.  The documentation describes it as a TEM1300 (Google shows Chinese manufacturer).  It has been marketed for some years under the name TEM1300 and I notice at least one other user has tried it, back in 2013.  ArcSoft capture software comes with it (with instructions in Spanish only though the leaflet is in French) and suggests you should have Windows 2000 or XP!  So, that's in the bin.  I may have bought a bit of old kit at a new price.  However the proof of the pudding...

No clear skies in the offing so may be a while before I can test it but if it's any good I'll let you know.

All is not lost re the capture software. I used SharpCap   (Linky)   with an old Logitech webcam at 30fps for the first time last week and had no issues. It was pretty straight forward to use and works on my Windows 7 laptop and is free. I've never used ArcSoft so I cannot compare the two on which is easiest.

I would also get AutoStakkert!2  (Linky) for stacking your frames and Registax6  (Linky) for wavelets (It is supposed to be able to stack too but it didn't work for me) All the software links are free downloads with an option to donate.

Hope this helps and Clear skies.

Thanks a lot Star Forming.  I've just read your message after trying for an hour to get SharpCap to recognise the camera in Windows 8.1.  I've discovered it is made by a company called Future Optics who publish their own software called Future Win Joe which looks the business but, sadly, cannot be downloaded.  The Arcsoft software is purely for webcam control with no astronomical features at all.  Totally useless.  I've written a letter of complaint to the supplier saying, in effect, unless he can supply me with suitable software I will return the camera for refund as unusable.

So, you're in Capel eh?  Big universe but small world.  My home in England is in Ockley, where I shall be in three days time.

This is probably the last entry to this thread.

Just got back to UK and found a weekly message from Telescope House advertising this:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_StarShoot_Solar_System_Colour_Imager_IV.html

It looks the same as the Pentaflex, is same spec, even uses the same driver.  Seems to be made by a Chinese company called Future Optics. So, now for a clear night to try it out.

Thanks Feral Rabbit.  Sorry I got your name wrong.

Hi Feral, do you mind being on first name terms?

I spend half the year here at our permanent home and half in France at our second home but for indeterminate periods.  I have a glaucoma test on June 2nd so will be here for a month or so, for example, then would plan to be in France under beautifully black, velvet, unpolluted skies until late autumn.  As a geriatric novice it would be helpful to get a few tips over a pint in The Crown some time if that wouldn't be too demeaning!  I have joined Guildford AS but only attended one meeting so far and learning curve almost vertical in those surroundings.

Hi there,

yes I have no problem with first name terms and would be more than happy to meet up for a pint or two. Although I am a rank novice myself and have only been stargazing since last July. Work and weather have meant that my stargazing has been limited to a dozen occasions, in that time and I have managed one photograph  :icon_sad:

Unfortunately I am not able to meet up until next week Tuesday at the earliest.

I can send you a message via this site when it is closer to then to arrange a time.

Regards

Martin

Thanks, Martin,

My subscription email address for PMs is a French one that I don't pick up every day.  UK address is  peter@hopesprings.f9.co.uk which will be picked up every 15 minutes.  Next Tuesday sounds good but confirm on uk address when you're sure.  In the meantime some clear skies would be nice.

Have realised the camera I first posted about has been doing the rounds under a number of names for about 8 years.  Nothing is what it seems.

Hope to meet up soon.

Peter

Archived