Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What did I see tonight?

Chris Cavanagh

Allright lads; I was out using the scope (description in my sig) and was with my partner watching the Lyrids. I was casually gazing near Jupiter when I noticed a dense cluster of stars; not so close to comprise a "cluster", but there was a large number of them within a relatively small field of view (25mm EP).

To cap it off, while I was gazing I saw a light streak across the center of the FOV; was a little satellite!

Anyways, what was I looking at exactly? Anybody any thoughts? I tried taking a picture but the stars were too dim for the cameraphone to pick it up.

Cheers!

Where exactly in relation to Jupiter? For example to the right of Jupiter you had M44 tonight, which I would say is a bit like what you describe, although lower than Jupiter you have M67 which is also a nice open cluster.

I can't remember; I think it was to the right actually, although looking at images of both clusters makes me think it looked more like M67.....

Again, I'm unsure. If it's any help, the 25mm couldn't fit them all in; the viewfinder was in fact best for viewing them all.

Archived