Hi everyone

oblivion19

I recently found out I'm really passionate space, so I decided to take a leap into astronomy. Thank you for having such an informative forum! 

As background, I am a young software engineer, living in London for about 6 years. While the light pollution is very high, I try to make the most of it by going on a 20 floor building's roof terrace to do my stargazing.

I've bought a Celestron 15x70 binoculars and a few books to get started. I must say the whole experience so far is amazing. I look forward to discovering more about space.

I will have a thorough look into the beginners section to see what I can do now, before getting my hands on a telescope (was looking at Orion XT10 classic or intelliscope).

Thank you very much.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi mate and welcome from south wales,you have come to the right place for all things spacey and more.Orion XT10 classic or intelliscope)thats a hard one to chose,id go for the intelliscope very good for finding stuff, thay are both very good scopes, have you had a look at skywhatchers thay do some very nice dobs and thay may be a bit less,all the best.charl.

Hello and a warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. Blimey, the roof of a 20 story building eh! you probably don't need a scope, just pluck what you want to look at from the heavens.  :grin: 

I hope you have a great time with your hobby and also with your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Hi There,

Warm welcome to SGL. Starting with binos is a great start as you get some muscle memory about where objects are in the sky. The orion 10"dob is a bit of a beast, what I would advise is to go to your nearest asto club meet and see what others have and what may suit you best. If you have not done so already download a planetarium program, plenty out there but try stellarium its great and free, to be found here   :--- http://www.stellarium.org/ . A couple of books to help you are 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'

Thank you all for your kind words, it feels great to be part of this community.

@damnut: You are right. I will join some astro club/society (was thinking about Flamsteed Astronomy Society, mainly because it's close to where I live), before buying any scope. 

As for books, I've got: NightWatch (Terrence Dickinson), The Practical Astronomer (DK) and a few others, plus some magazines. Turn left at Orion will be my next purchase, as well as some star atlas (I do have a planisphere though).

Software: Stellarium is amazing, I've got a tens of apps on my tablet and there is this cool simulation "game": Space Engine -- http://en.spaceengine.org/.

Cheers,

Vlad

Hi Vlad and welcome to SGL, before it gets too light on an evening, you might like to pay a visit to Regents Park and link up with the Baker Street Irregulars Astronomers group, http://bakerstreetastro.org.uk  they should have a meeting sometime in May. Talking with like minded people on the subject can be very rewarding. Enjoy the forum :)

Archived