Thanks for having me

Relpet

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is reply to Stropper,

Sorry to have picked up your message a bit late, Chris.

I'm in England for a few weeks (haven't seen a clear sky for a week) but our place in France is 100 kms south-west of Toulouse so a bit of a step from you.  I'm going back down in early/mid June until the autumn and this will be the first chance I get to wheel the 8" telescope out under southern skies.  As a completely new sufferer from this affliction called stargazing I'd be grateful for any advice you can give specific to the region.

Best wishes

Peter

Peter

Presently sat outside on a glorious evening having just eaten dinner. Will be on the way to UK for a couple of weeks myself. Not sure there is any region specific advice I can give beyond what you might find from SGL, magazines, etc about UK. I am about 45 degrees north, you are a bit further south so skies are a bit different but not hugely from UK. For me the main difference is the lack of light pollution as I live in a rural area and it sounds like you may too

Shame we are too far apart to get together but this is a big country

Clear skies

Hi, Chris,

Yes, every time I drive down I realise what a big country France is!  As I get older it seems to get bigger.

We get two kinds of light pollution.

1.  If the football club is training they have their floodlights on.  Just look the other way.

2,  If there are electrical storms in the mountains the lightning is so magnificent who needs a telescope?

Interesting piece on noctiluscent clouds in current Sky at Night magazine.  Will take more interest in these in future.  

We are 43 degrees north so using US planisphere.  Can't wait to get back.

Beau ciel

Peter

Archived