Thanks for having me

Relpet

My wife offered me a metal detector for Christmas and I ended up with a telescope.  It's a long story.

I am lucky enough to spend half the year in a village in south-west France where clear night skies can be quite breathtaking and you don't need to get anyone's permission to explore the heavens.

I bought an 8" Dobsonian from Telescope House which I intend to bring down soon.  In the meantime I chanced upon a 4" Newtonian in the local Troc (a depot where people can put secondhand goods on display at a fixed price and the depot takes a cut) for 48 euros.  Apart from a wing nut on the tripod it was in great nick.  Finderscope is flaky though and eyepieces that obviously came with it next to useless but I have bought a couple of new ones and this 'scope must be one of the bargains of my life.  Three days before we got clear skies but the crescent moon of the last two nights has been spectacular, even with the 4".  Thousands of unknown and previously unseen stars floating across the eyepiece have kept me out in the dark for hours.

I've bought all the books and watched endless YouTube videos but there's nothing like talking to a knowledgeable enthusiast to flatten the learning curve.  If there is anyone else within a short distance of Boulogne-sur-Gesse in Haute-Garonne I would welcome an opportunity to have a chat.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Relpet,

WArm welcome to SGL, my sister used to live in Tarbes so I know what a lovely part of France you are in.  The only other contributor on SGL in southern France is Olly but he is about 300 miles east near Orpierre. Would be a nice drive though!

Archived