Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus... finally!

A lovely clear night this evening and I managed to get a great view of Venus since buying my new scope a month ago... on previous viewings it was just a wee bit too low to view.

Also sat in awe of the moon too... trying out my lenses and barlows. Took a few snaps, courtesy of a shaky iPhone but still, good enough reference shots for my astro notes :)

My Dob was creating some lovely crisp images though, that the iPhone can't replicate through a pic... now time to warm up with a cup of tea!

post-13454-0-32856800-1429654914_thumb.j

post-13454-0-25601400-1429654884_thumb.j

post-13454-0-46458300-1429654852_thumb.j

Thanks and yes, totally. Seemed like my best night so far.. sky was littered with stars and the fact no security lights went off tonight and the trees at the bottom of my garden are getting quite leafy, so they are blocking any stray lights too.

Good stuff. Even with the naked eye- the crescent moon alongside Venus looked stunning tonight.

It was a beautiful sight indeed, with Aldebaran a lovely companion... and the Hyades.

Which reminds me, must get the camera out on a tripod. All I need is a good framing foreground :)

It was a beautiful sight indeed, with Aldebaran a lovely companion... and the Hyades.

Which reminds me, must get the camera out on a tripod. All I need is a good framing foreground :)

Yes.

Me to wife: "Look at that sight- crescent moon and venus".. wife cranes neck "oh yeah.." moves back to what she was doing.

I had a similar reaction... ever feel that your stargazing is looked on as a tolerated eccentricity by your beloved? Lol.

Exactly.. she took a photo of me with my scope out of the patio doors the other night and showed it to her mother the next day.. the mother in laws reaction? "He's a strange man"

I am quite impressed with my little or not so little iPhone 6+. It will certainly do until I can afford a 'proper' camera - taking shots down the eyepiece is still a bit of a dark art though, especially with chilly fingers!

PS. my in-laws love astronomy... it's just my accountant.. I mean wife that is not overly enthusiastic  :grin:

I had a similar reaction... ever feel that your stargazing is looked on as a tolerated eccentricity by your beloved? Lol.

It's barely even tolerated.

"Can you get that (insert expletive) telescope out of the way" :mad:

Archived