SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another option to DSS? Its driving me nuts!

Hi I'm really trying with DSS but I just can't seem to get a final image!

I'm using a Canon 1100d with the latest Deep Sky Stacker 3.3.4.

I load in 20 or so lights & I can highlight them & the picture of M51 comes up, then add Darks Bias etc...

Go through the compute the number of stars which it came up with 90.

Then let it DSS do its thing & all I come out with at the end is a white background with a black line down the right hand side GGGrrrrr!!

To say its driving up the wall is an understatement!

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

If not are there any other programs I can use to stack deep sky pics?

sorry rant over

thanks

Show us a screen shot after the stack.

Could be the histogram is hard over to the right.

Use the colour sliders, check the box so they are linked and slide them to the left.

If the black line to the right is the histogram bring it over to around a third from the left.

Then adjust the luminance etc to get a nice S curve across the histogram.

As Stephen says, you need the latest version of DSS. Don't know why this isn't the main download version? Go here: http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html and then click on the second highlighted here under the header: Latest DSLRs support (DeepSkyStacker 3.3.4)  That should solve your problem. It did for me with my 1100D.

As Stephen says, you need the latest version of DSS. Don't know why this isn't the main download version? Go here: http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html and then click on the second highlighted here under the header: Latest DSLRs support (DeepSkyStacker 3.3.4)  That should solve your problem. It did for me with my 1100D.

Hi thanks for the reply but as you can see from my

post I have already got version 3.3.4

Show us a screen shot after the stack.

Could be the histogram is hard over to the right.

Use the colour sliders, check the box so they are linked and slide them to the left.

If the black line to the right is the histogram bring it over to around a third from the left.

Then adjust the luminance etc to get a nice S curve across the histogram.

Hi Thanks for the reply

Here's the screenshot after DSS has finished-

I just tried stacking the lights & didn't add any darks etc...

post-18021-0-58024800-1429724117_thumb.j

& here's the picture it automatically saves

Unlike previous attempts which were just white with black on the side, you can see some stars through the white, really don't understand whats going on!

post-18021-0-34207200-1429724227_thumb.j

The histogram in DSS is way over to the right, it's washed out.

You need to tick the box.....Linked settings

Then drag one of the middle triangles in the coloured sliders to the left until the histogram lies on the s curve.

Adjust the darkness, midtones and highlights under the luminance tab, to taste.........adjust saturation.....I normally go for 25%

I don't know why Photoviewer is showing that black band to the right.

Here is one I did with just 4 stacked images.

dsshisto.jpg

The histogram in DSS is way over to the right, it's washed out.

You need to tick the box.....Linked settings

Then drag one of the middle triangles in the coloured sliders to the left until the histogram lies on the s curve.

Adjust the darkness, midtones and highlights under the luminance tab, to taste.........adjust saturation.....I normally go for 25%

I don't know why Photoviewer is showing that black band to the right.

Here is one I did with just 4 stacked images.

dsshisto.jpg

Wow thanks for that it worked! although when it saved the pic it reverted to the white screen with black down right hand side, the pic was there but behind the white GGrrr.

I might try another program.

DSS normaly auto saves the output TIFF as 32bit and it is this that makes it look like it has a dark band on the right (most software including Photoshop is limited with 32bit images) the fix is to manually save a 16bit version of your file as a backup. The 32bit version is still useful to have as it can be reloaded into DSS if you want to tinker with the adjustment sliders etc.

Alan

DSS normaly auto saves the output TIFF as 32bit and it is this that makes it look like it has a dark band on the right (most software including Photoshop is limited with 32bit images) the fix is to manually save a 16bit version of your file as a backup. The 32bit version is still useful to have as it can be reloaded into DSS if you want to tinker with the adjustment sliders etc.

Alan

Alan Thanks for the info

Archived