SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which night sky app

nightfisher

I have decided to get with the times so i have bought an 8" tablet on android 4.0 just to use as a night sky guide, i sort of guess sky safari will be a good one but open to other suggestions, what app should i go for?

Sky Safari Pro. £15ish.

Very detailed. Good background info.

I have Stelarium, and for free it is great. I really don't use it any more because Sky Safari does everything a bit better.

I would not be without it at the eyepiece and for planning sessions.

Paul

I use 'Night Sky tools' , Available from google play store, its free and has very in depth details on current positions, rise and set times & tranits of all the planets, moons. Even shows GRS times as well as 'UP NOW' feature, 'UP TONIGHT', weather (although the weather isn't all that) , constellation guide and tons more stuff..

Its the only one I use on mobile device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smeunier.nightskytools&hl=en_GB

Honestly, I've hardly used Redshift since getting this app

I use 'Night Sky tools' , Available from google play store, its free and has very in depth details on current positions, rise and set times & tranits of all the planets, moons. Even shows GRS times as well as 'UP NOW' feature, 'UP TONIGHT', weather (although the weather isn't all that) , constellation guide and tons more stuff..

Its the only one I use on mobile device

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smeunier.nightskytools&hl=en_GB

Honestly, I've hardly used Redshift since getting this app

Nice one, i can see me getting this one

Hi Jules,

I use Mobile Observatory on android and find itsngood for the price.... less than £5 I think with regular free updates.

As a hint if you go to hobbycraft they sell red clear A4 sheets which are great as a red screen filter and you can still use the touch screen.

Cheers

I asked similar about which free ones were around, not long ago.

Eventually did as someone suggested and tried them.

Think I downloaded 6 or 8, and each one was uninstalled.

None really did what I wanted, one did nothing but complain, one was displaying some other part of the sky, one was just so damn big and so many options that it was close to unusable and I didn't have a month to learn what it might be able to do.

So the Nexus has no astro app on it.

Problem is that having experienced sort of 100% incompatibility between me and them I am a bit reluctant to spend £15 or £20 or £30 on another one in case I find the same. So presently sort of stuck.

Will say that many people talk of a mobile app and not a tablet app - I guess there may be differences.

The ones I have seen "in use" also have been on a mobile.

Likely I am wrong but just something noted and may be applicable.

I mostly use:

Stellarium Mobile (sometimes available for free on Amazon App Store)

Sky Safari Plus

Sky Safari Plus can also control my mount...very handy. It also has a lot of information on objects that I found useful when I was far away from any internet connection.

I have just installed "Night Sky tools" and will give it a go...

Archived