Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Ajohn

Ajohn

Firstly congrats on having an active astronomy board. Most are like grave yards. I'll have to watch it or I will spend far too much time on here.

I'm a getting on a bit at 59 and am a retired engineer with a rather varied background ranging from mechanical things to electronics and software mostly of the frimware type. My interest in telescopes started at the age of 11 maybe even earlier but I never managed to own one until I was in my 20's. Built it myself. I have also made a mirror. I own too many scopes and am have very widely read on telescope design and atm in search of that illusive perfect all purpose telescope. I try to restrict any comments I make to things I've verified with personal experience.

Observing wise things are now more patchy than the used to be. These days we own 2 propertied (and have lower levels of cash). The main one is about 2 miles from B'ham city centre. The other is in Pembrokeshire and has much darker skies. Trouble is that having "seen" there B'ham becomes a lot less attractive. Observing has to co inside with the inclination, the weather and being there.

My current interest has evolved to a remote control telescope and ccd's. No idea how long it will take me to achieve it but that's what I'm setting out to do based around a refractor. I'm also likely to make another telescope from scratch so have spent some time evaluating various designs with the free version of oslo lt. It looks like that will turn out to be a reflector. Some may say why make but I don't think I can buy exactly what is needed. Me thinks I can do better - a problem that comes about from having spent 40 years working in new product development mostly on completely new things. :( Trouble is I often can do better.

John

Hello and welcome to SGL. :(

This is the best astronomy forum that I have come across. Theres a good mixture of members ranging from newcommers to hard core amateurs. They're all very friendly, helpful and although one or two do seem to have had a supernova go off inside their head, none are dangerous. :D

Im sure your ideas will attract some of our more technically minded members so expect a flurry of questions soon.

I hope you enjoy being a part of SGL as much as I do.

Welcome to SGL Ajohn. Your retirement age was the same as mine. I was in no way going to be dragged into the stress pit. The more you gave, the more they wanted.

You will enjoy SGL. A great mix of people with lots of skill, and knowledge, you will make a great contribution too.

Ron. :(

Welcome John. I love Engineers (genuinely!) - Especially jokes about "Arguin' with them, Porcines and sundry effluvia! :mrgreen:

Sorry - Reminded of (boyhood hero) Red Adair's opinion! Like your "Try it yourself philosophy" - Have a nice time here! :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, John, and welcome.

A telescope in Pembrokeshire remotely controlled from Birmingham - hmmm. :shocked:

Like you, I'm retired, and I joined SGL recently when I got my first telescope at 60 - "getting on" means getting on to do things I didn't have time for before, and browsing SGL is a frequent and enjoyable part of my recreation.

Allan

Archived