Which Filters for controlling CA

I have given up on the idea of a Chromacor!

I have been researching some filters. Opinions seem varied on which is best to control CA on an Achro. Some say a 495 Longpass, others say it tinges things yellow, some rate the Baasder Semi Apo, some prefer the Fringe Killer (Others say it tinges yellow) One idea was to use a #8 yellow combined with a #50 Blue.

I have also gone looking for these items online, and i can only find the Apo. The others all come in a kit of four!

Thoughts?

I have an earlier Skywatcher 150mm F/8 achro refractor and originally used a Baader fringe killer filter with some success. It does however leave a slight yellow cast to the view. At a later time I found using a Crystalview moon and skyglow filter in conjunction with the Baader fringe killer filter gave a more natural view. Nowadays I remove the centre section of the dust cap making the scope an approx. 4.5" F/11 which works even better although obviously only on solar system objects. For DSO's full aperture works fine.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Opinions seem varied on which is best to control CA on an Achro. Some say a 495 Longpass, others say it tinges things yellow, some rate the Baasder Semi Apo, some prefer the Fringe Killer (Others say it tinges yellow) One idea was to use a #8 yellow combined with a #50 Blue.

I have also gone looking for these items online, and i can only find the Apo. The others all come in a kit of four!

Thoughts?

The 495 Longpass is the most effective but produces intensive yellow cast. The #8 Yellow  is less effective, but still very good and gives *some* yellow cast. I prefer the Semi Apo, since it shows colors closest to natural. I've read here recently, on SGL, somebody said it blocks ~60-65% unfocused spectrum, I can live with it. The Baader M&SG alone is not effective, it should be combined with the Fringe Killer to work like the Semi-Apo.

For single #8 Light Yellow filter check out this link.

I just made a filter, just for something to do. I took some old Hoya blue and yellow flash filters which when paired gave a sunglasses type effect to the naked eye, no bothersome colour cast to speak of. So I ground them to size, epoxied them into the standard cheapo plastic celestron 10mm  EP  and added my revelation 2.5x barlow. Tested that against the bright blue sky on a hut accross the fields about 3/4 mile away. It reduced the CA to a fair point, increased contrast a tad and dropped the brightness by about 20%. CA was still there, just wasn't as noticeable. These filters are probably not the ideal colours as they are designed for removing colour casts in flash photgraphy, but still. I think there is hope. I will get some 2" planetary filters, i might also try the Semi Apo filter.

Archived