Hello

Colinlp

Hi all

Colin from Anglesey here, getting back into astronomy after a long break. Made my own scope many years ago an 8" I ground the mirror for that but sadly the time kept in the shed has taken its toll on the aluminising, the last time I used it was I think the 2012 transit of Mercury. I'll get that fixed sometime but for now I've just bought myself a new scope and will as planned for the first scope build an obsy to keep it in, which should make it easier to use, I'm not a great forward thinker :rolleyes:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad considering, I live close to RAF Valley but unless they're night flying it's quite dark there. We have new street lights too which whilst aren't ideal are way better than the old ones. Hardly the Kielder forest but it could be worse, I'm right on the edge of the village and in the back garden where I plan to build my observatory it's shielded from all direct lights.

Hi Colin....Welcome to the lounge...that's a nice scope you have there!

Thanks, I certainly hope so fingers crossed. It was bought almost as an unknown quantity almost, I've used a Nextstar SE 6 and liked that, I used an LX200 in uni and liked that too, especially the advantage in size but my preference was towards the Celestron for unknown reasons, possibly because it was a lot newer and more familiar in my head. I spoke to a couple of people who owned them and had a look (in daylight) and all seemed positive. Not used my CPC properly yet but it seems straightforward enough, clear skies forecast for tomorrow so fingers crossed

Welcome Colin to SGL - hope all goes well with the proposed obsy - mine via my links :-)

Already read!  :smiley: I've been reading just about everything

Got most of the details roughly planned in my head, certainly how it will be made and fit together, just need to finalise pier dimensions and position and finance! The obsy will have to be raised off the ground about 5ft to get better access to the SW and to reduce the horizon over our house a little so going to use the underneath as a low shed for lawn mowers and the like, possibly half of it as a low room for computers and the like but I'll make that decision when the thing is a bit further along

Hi Colin,

Croeso I SGL.  ex pat  from Holyhead. though you are close to RAF Valley, try Cymyran Beach car park, South Stack car park or Llyn Alaw ... Its still darker than the midlands, though i was home over Easter and last sun it was blowing a hoolie.

Hwyl!

Hi all

Colin from Anglesey here, getting back into astronomy after a long break. Made my own scope many years ago an 8" I ground the mirror for that but sadly the time kept in the shed has taken its toll on the aluminising, the last time I used it was I think the 2012 transit of Mercury. I'll get that fixed sometime but for now I've just bought myself a new scope and will as planned for the first scope build an obsy to keep it in, which should make it easier to use, I'm not a great forward thinker :rolleyes:

2012? 2003 it was, here's a picture

Mercury%20transit%20008_zpsrctcrgxl.jpg

Greetings Colinlp and welcome to SGL. I too am considering building an obsy but know how such projects can turn out to be more work than originally thought. Keep us posted on your progress... :)

Archived