SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Delite - new Televue 62 deg 7mm, 11mm, 18.2mm

YKSE

Whats the secret behind your immunity Jules ? :smiley:

Cant say for sure but they just never grabbed my attention, back in the early days i would think "how much" i guess they just dont appeal. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, a first class product

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the price is somewhere around £150 (or lower) and the optical charactistics Delos-like I can see these proving popular :smiley:

Wonder if we will see an "EthoLite" with an ~80 degree FoV, 17mm of eye relief etc, etc ?

if this EthoLite also has a decent weight...

nonononono don't let me think about!   :grin:

When they were in production and fully part of the Tele Vue range, the Radians used to retail at £199.00 I seem to recall. I think the DeLite will come in close to this figure in the UK.

The Delos can be bought for £257 so I think they will have to pitch the DeLite somewhere around £180-£200 to get sales. 

I hope for you guys, because to me, as the pentaxes are increasing in price, the deloi will increase too, and I doubt these will go below £200. 

But of course, I hope to be wrong!

$250 = £230+ in the UK. Remember that US prices are generally quoted before local sales tax, so even in the US, they're not quite that cheap.

Also remember that TV addicts are paying for an EP to be shipped from where ever it is manufactured (Taiwan, China, Japan, etc) back to the US for QC and then shipped back to where ever it is being sold (Taiwan, China, Japan, etc) so once it's in the US, there's no more TAX/Duty to pay beyond local sales tax. However, the rest of the world (even if it's made there) than have to pay a price that includes local import duty and VAT, in our case.

I stand by my prediction of circa £230-250 each.  I'd also add 6 elements in four groups, because they're TMB Planetary copies..... ;)

Russell

Okay; it's all official on the TV website now, so the (entirely intended speculation) is over.

I like that they mention that they're parfocal with other TV EPs. Funny that one - The 17mm Delos wasn't actually remotely parfocal with other Delos.....

No mention of the element groupings though - like it's going to take a competitor more than five minutes to figure that out....

Russell

I suspect none.

If you consider that they slide in below Panoptics and maybe targeted at binoviewers, then no more are needed.

Russell

I think there will, or at least could, be more. From the TV website:

"Available in 18.2, 11, and 7mm focal lengths initially...."

That possibly wasn't up at the time you posted the above though.

I suspect none.

If you consider that they slide in below Panoptics and maybe targeted at binoviewers, then no more are needed.

Russell

I also think they are targeted at binoviewers: long e.r., relatively compact design, and low weight. 

Although they could also replace the 15, 11, 8mm plossls.

Curious to read more about and hopefully they cost less than what we think

it's quite funny though! 

(I skip some history)

- some time ago there were the plossl (small, 50degrees)

- then the naglers (bigger than the plossl, 82 degrees)

- then the ethos (bigger than the naglers, 100 degrees)

- then the delos (lighter than the ethos, 72 degrees)

- now the delite (lighter than the delos, 62 degrees) 

- tomorrow "Zeus" (lighter than the delite, 50 degrees)   :confused:   :confused:

Interesting development. Might well have a look at these if they fill gaps in the Delos line. The Delos 8mm I have isn't remotely parfocal with the XWs I have. I was sort of planning to get a few SLVs to fill gaps between the XWs, but I do find the 50 deg FOV a bit restrictive. 62 is a lot better. This might mean I would replace the XWs with Delos/Delite combinations

it's quite funny though! 

(I skip some history)

- some time ago there were the plossl (small, 50degrees)

- then the naglers (bigger than the plossl, 82 degrees)

- then the ethos (bigger than the naglers, 100 degrees)

- then the delos (lighter than the ethos, 72 degrees)

- now the delite (lighter than the delos, 62 degrees) 

- tomorrow "Zeus" (lighter than the delite, 50 degrees)   :confused:   :confused:

The Panoptics and the Radians followed the Naglers which messes up the FoV curves a bit.

I see it as two dynasties of mainstream Tele Vues:

Dynasty I:

Plossl - Radian - Panoptic - Nagler

Dynasty II:

DeLite - Delos - ??? - Ethos

At present we are moving from one dynasty to the next so the plossls, Panoptics and Naglers are still there. I reckon a Nagler replacement will emerge in due course, the plossls, Panoptics and the zooms will be phased out as well. It's going to take time though - another 2-3 years I think.

Pure guesswork though, of course !!!

Do you know John I find it rather funny that a simple 15mm Plossl eyepiece( 1st Dyasty) which has been around for years can outshine a 14mm Delos (2nd D) over a couple of hours in the same scope. So although the designs are years apart the oldboys can still deliver.

Had the exact same thing with the same eyepiece, two nights back I was using the 17mm Ethos in the 18 inch and it was pretty good without being jaw dropping, popped the same 14mm Delos in which you would think would make matters worse and quite the reverse, stunning view, everything anyone could ever want Jupiter to look like.

Something makes me think I will not be able to resist one.

Alan

The Panoptics and the Radians followed the Naglers which messes up the FoV curves a bit.

I see it as two dynasties of mainstream Tele Vues:

Dynasty I:

Plossl - Radian - Panoptic - Nagler

Dynasty II:

DeLite - Delos - ??? - Ethos

At present we are moving from one dynasty to the next so the plossls, Panoptics and Naglers are still there. I reckon a Nagler replacement will emerge in due course, the plossls, Panoptics and the zooms will be phased out as well. It's going to take time though - another 2-3 years I think.

Pure guesswork though, of course !!!

That's an interesting prediction, and I would be curious to see a 'Naglos' covering the gap between Delos and Ethos.  :smiley:

In terms of marketing and selling, I think you are right about this change from the first to the second generation of TV EPs.

In terms of practicality, I would be quite upset if they decide to remove the first generation in favour of the second. When I tried my first Nagler (7mm T6), I was not particularly happy and it took me a bit to learn how to use it comfortably with / without spectacles. When I learnt it though, wow, I realised how well designed and powerful was that optical eyepiece. Now I admire that design because it is so compact and light, but at the same time it opens a window of beauty. These are eyepieces which still look like "eyepieces" instead of mini-telescopes.

Dunno.. maybe I am too fussy, but if tomorrow a small refractor like a TV60 were replaced with a "TV-thos60" weighing 6kg and offering a bit more transparency that my eyes might not even be able or trained to detect, I think, I would be a bit disappointed..  :sad:

I cross my fingers they continue support the first generation, that's all  :rolleyes:

Tele Vue are obviously aware that some folks don't like large / fat / tall / heavy eyepieces because the DeLite is designed with that in mind - I reckon it will be close to the size and weight of a Radian.

Al Nagler managed to shrink the T1 and T2 Naglers remarkably in the T5 and T6 series. The 31mm is the exception but the T2 20mm was even heavier than the "Teminagler" is and that was reduced in the T5 20mm to one of the smaller 2" eyepieces around. The Ethos did actually thin down a little after the initial production run of the 13mm to make it at least feasible to use them in Binoviewers although not everybodies facial characteristics would make even the thinner binoviewed 13mm Ethos pair a viable proposition, even if the wallet allowed it.

Who knows, maybe a reduced size Ethos II range at some point in the future ?

Damian,

You would see the difference when you subject the BST to an F4 Dobsonian, I put a Meade 24mm SWA most probably a better eyepiece in my F4.3 two nights ago and I am still recovering. This time TeleVue may have come up with a 62 degree FOV that is really as good as a an Orthoscopic on all counts, that would be a step forward.

Alan

Archived