Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observing with binoculars

adrastea

I was given a pair of Bresser 10x50 binoculars at xmas and I haven't really used them much. It was really clear the other night so I had them out, and was impressed at the sharpness and was actually surprised at how many stars I could see. I didn't really know what I was doing though so wasn't out very long. I don't know huge amounts about observing with binoculars, and wondered if there were any general tips or advice. What kind of stuff might I be able to see? Are there any ideas about holding them steady, as they're quite heavy and I don't have a stand or anything for them. Anyway, hope it's ok to ask if anyone's got any advice. Thanks!

I started out in the same way, and used a foam camping mat to lie on in the garden. By doing this, you can rest the binoculars on your cheek bones, propping your arms also. It helps to keep them still. If you have a camera tripod, you can get an L bracket (like this one, couldn't find one at FLO), if the binos have a tripod attachment. I found this ok for lower targets, but a pain in the neck, literally, for things higher up. It would also be worthwhile taking a look at "Stargazing With Binoculars", as this gives targets to see and an indication of what to expect. I reviewed it in December.

HTH

Thanks everyone! I don't think the binos have a tripod attachment (nothing that I recognise as one, anyway), but laying on a camping mat sounds like quite a good idea. Thanks everyone for the links, that's a lot of reading I've got to catch up with!

i myself got started with binos at the end of january and used them whilst lying on a sun lounger in the back yard. plenty to see.

some of my highlights from the time were the moon, m42 in orion, m45 in taurus, m44 in cancer. i'm pretty sure that m13 may look ace etc.

Adrastea

An old fashioned way of keeping binos steady was to turn a broom up side down and rest the binos on the bristle - helps to take most of the shake out.

I have used a clothes line prop - the ones you get these days are extendable. Older binos had a narower focusing shaft - so it may not work with your Bresser binos. Props are cheap too <£3

Scotastro

Archived