Where do I stick my Galileo finder...

Caz, I have just put my telrad on the other side of the focusser to the finder. had a play last night, in between the clouds, and it seemed to work ok lke this. Mind you I haven't used the sicky pads supplied but have stuck it on with electrical tape so that it is easier to move or move it to another scope. I guess Your gallileo is pretty similar.

Martin

Looks like tonights a good chance to try it. Messiers her we come :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I know less than you Caz :? I don't find the finder scope on the Tal very effective but apparently they are supposed to be very good. Guess you can always take the finderscope off and try esp if you just have the galileo taped down. The finderscope is supposed to complement the red dot/reticle finder and be better when the object is away from naked eye stars e.g. M81/82. I'm going to have a try with both.

Martin

When I got my red-dot finder, I removed the 6x30 finder, and used the attachment to put the red-dot on the scope. I used the red-dot alone for 9 or 10 months, and have only now put the 6x30 bck on, as I mentioned in another thread. I used double-sided masking tape to attach it, temporarily, just behind and to the right of the red-dot in the old finder position. This allows me to use both finders without any bother. I mostly work from the left side of my scope. If I move to the right side of the scope, both finders will be under the focuser, and I'll be having great difficulty using them.

I'm hoping to find a solution that works, when I get another outing, which may be tonight, if Mrs. Warthog lets me. Tonight is going to be the only clear night in the next seven days, but Mrs. W. doesn't appreciate need to observe. Thursday is supposed to be our date night.

Im planing on getting a red dot finder or something similar soon, as im have a bit of trouble matching up the view through the view finder with the sky.

when i do get one i think im going to stick it on the opposite side of the tube to the focuser, so if you are looking at it from the front, the focuser will be on the right, finder on the top and red dot on the left.

That way i can use the red dot to get to the right area and the 9x50 finder to zero it right in. :lol:

Im planing on getting a red dot finder or something similar soon, as im have a bit of trouble matching up the view through the view finder with the sky.

when i do get one i think im going to stick it on the opposite side of the tube to the focuser, so if you are looking at it from the front, the focuser will be on the right, finder on the top and red dot on the left.

That way i can use the red dot to get to the right area and the 9x50 finder to zero it right in. :lol:

Go the double sided tape route first, though. That may not work as wwell as your expect.

OK - too late now but I am wondering *why* you feel it has to go at the pointy end of the scope Caz? I mean, no reason (apart from the wear on knees) for it not to go at the mirror end. Not that I'm suggesting that either, but just it does not need to go *right* at the top.

Arthur

OK - too late now but I am wondering *why* you feel it has to go at the pointy end of the scope Caz? I mean, no reason (apart from the wear on knees) for it not to go at the mirror end. Not that I'm suggesting that either, but just it does not need to go *right* at the top.

Arthur

Its too late now Arthur, its done and dusted.... It feels comfortable where it is, if it becomes an issue, I shall move it....

Yup. As you say, done and dusted. I can't help but think you are going to get mist issues as you look through the eyepiece and breath all over the finder though :?

Arthur

It has often occurred to me that you could put the finder at the bottom of the scope, but the wear on the knees is a bit of an issue, besides the fact that if your crosshairs aren't right on, you may have to go up and down a few times while getting it right on. Also, if you are bopping from object to object, it's much more convenient to be just moving your head from the finder to the eyepiece, rather than moving your whole body.

JMHO, as they say.

OK - I'm not saying put it at the bottom - just that everyone puts them at the top! We have a rather long FL scope at the local society and the only way to point it is to stand at the bottom an align from there. The bottom of the scope is about 4 feet off the ground though...

Arthur

Well, they are always truss-tube scopes. They take them apart, piece by piece, and put the bits in bags, then use a dolly to put the mirror box and top end on the trailer, or into the truck that they bought to transport the thing. The 30" dob next to us was about 10' long.

Archived