Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet spotting 2015

Amongst various other things, one of my goals this year is to view a comet.

I've never seen one with my own eyes yet, and the recent Rosetta mission has renewed my interest in these objects.

So what are my options this year? Are there any comets coming around that I should be looking out for.

I understand they can be a little unpredictable visually.

You need to load the solar objects plugin then add comets there is a post with details on doing this.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/110718-c2009-p1-gerradd-in-stellarium/?fromsearch=1

Thankyou. That seems to have worked.

Couple visible ATM C/2015 F3 Swan and C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy, find them using Stellarium.

Dave

So are these reasonable viewing targets through an 8" Newt assuming I can get out of the suburbs?

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully I will get good enough views from the garden then.

If you've got a reasonably unpolluted sky in the direction of Cassiopea you should be able to see them both, Swan is a bit dimmer so start with Lovejoy and look for a fuzzy blue star.

Dave

Pic' of Lovejoy from March 21st so you know what you're looking for.

post-21198-0-11037400-1428871083_thumb.j

Not of much use to you i know, but the last year or so has been a good one for brightish comets !    The great thing for me is the unpredictability of them, and hopefully a few more will surprise us this year.  

Comet Catalina could be worth keeping tabs on in the summer -  good luck !

Bright Comet Prospects for 2015 - Sky & Telescope

andrew

I saw Lovejoy Q2 last night. It's still quite easy to see in a 50mm finder and small scopes. Low power is best, at least to find it. It's reasonably large with a condensed star-like centre.

C/2015 F3 Swan is quite a bit fainter and would be a struggle for 10x50 binoculars unless you know exactly what you are looking out for. It could be similarly tricky with a small sope if there is much light pollution about.

So has anyone actually seen Swan?

Sky Safari has is listed at > mag 14. Obviously, predicting comet brightness is a tricky game, but this one seems impossibly faint in anything less than a 14" scope?

Paul

Good luck.

Tried it with a 16" last night, but the sky was very very murky below 40'. Hoping to have better luck at the weekend. Lovejoy is only a few degrees away and was easy to pick out.

Good luck.

Archived