Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So who's up for the challenge?

Starman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just read that KDF post, most impressive! It would be amazing dedication if he was able to resolve all the faint fuzzies across the entire image, as opposed to that one small square - but i would imagine that would take years!

however, the above S@N challenge has to be tweaking the interest of those with longer FL scopes - maybe a good one for those with SCTs and ditch the focal reducer and see what happens?

Yes, I'd seen the KDF - a fantastic result, done in a field! I hope others do have a go though - I'd love to see what you can achieve.

Pete Lawrence

{rtf1ansiansicpg1252

{fonttblf0fnilfcharset0 ArialMT;}

{colortbl;red255green255blue255;red255green255blue255;}

deftab720

pardpardeftab720partightenfactor0

f0fs28 cf2 expnd0expndtw0kerning0

outl0strokewidth0 strokec2

}

Easy copy and paste [emoji12]

Mark

With no hope of being able to really image the Field, I thought it would be fun just to try to locate it. I used a few iterations of AstroTortilla to get within a gnat's whisker of the location, then just a few token subs. I Photoshopped a box to scale, and oriented it by aligning an image from Wikipedia. Hope I got the Moon scale circle right!  :-)

Allan

post-1897-0-29819200-1429376907_thumb.jp

Best effort so far?  :p (8"/F/4 Newt + 20min Watec 120N+ Video Cam)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241754-hubble-deep-field-challenge-anyone/?p=2628977

At the moment, nothing in the actual HDF itself (short exposure time!)

But possibility of brighter objects in the vicinity matching with others? ;)

Almost tempted to give it a rather longer "burn" - Weather permitting! :)

Hi,

Here my effort from the past night!

I am not convinced that this is the real HDF...! I think there is some offset from the original one!

I will try to draw the lines more accurately and I will try to annotate some the objects (?)

Observatory: MPC J15 (PT)

Tak FS102 NSV @ 641mm (res:2.19 arcsec/pixel)

QSI532WS-M1 @ -20ºC

Unfiltered: 9x1200s

Cheers,

paulo

44a78f650fb9663ae32762b3cedf8d3c.1824x0_

Taking a lead from Tims post, I plotted the outline of the HDF on my image and posted the HDF alongside. With the four main galaxies highlighted it becomes easier to pick out maybe half a dozen of the real faint ones from the noise.

Not bad for just a 3 minute unguided sub!

Lodestar%20HDF_zpsjd3hy7zz.png

Full Size Version

http://astrob.in/full/174343/0/

Hi,

After a lot of work I think this is a more realistic approach to the HDF!

The red circles are the objects I THINK could be identified in my image! 

Next step it is to annotate the objects (and of course....get more exposure time!)

Cheers,

paulo

bb38706ff6e5e1fa04f84cf5c9a2817e.1824x0_

Whoa - some great results here! I hope you're enjoying the challenge. I've never done the HDF before and have started to get a bit fixated on it, letting the planets go by the wayside as a result! I've got a 3 hour result which I've annotated with magnitudes (thanks Robert Ince!) and am happy to claim a depth of +22.3 from my home in Selsey. The result isn't very clean (or pretty) yet as some annoying hot pixels have made it through the calibration process and have been revealed by the extreme stretching. I'll deal with these later. But if it helps, here's the evaluation result with the magnutudes marked...

2015-04-20_HDF-Eval.jpg

Here's my go, shot with 10" f4.8 newt at prime through a CLS LP fllter.

59 @ 600 seconds

Shame about the dust bunny that for some reason even though it looked sorted on the individual subs after calibration, came back through after stacking. :rolleyes:

the giff flash (after 2 seconds) is a scaled version of the Hubble deep field image.

lots of galaxies in the full field of view. :grin:

I could have probably got away with longer subs but its been a bit windy here so I decided not to risk loss of subs through wind.

Click images for full size.

Mike.

gallery_730_1107_95007.gif

And inverted

gallery_730_1107_967549.gif

@Pete- thanks for posting up the galaxy magnitudes. Now I'm even more chuffed- the camera I normaly only use for guiding can reach down to magnitude 20 in three minutes. I tried longer subs but being unguided they were poor. I tried stacking the good 60/120/180s subs- but still showed no more than the single 180s. Will give this another go when conditions allow.

Archived