sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

M51 - My Turn.. 11hrs & counting

11 hrs & 10 mins so far of LRGB on this. The seeing hasn't been that great & I'd like to add some Ha before I loose astro darkness with the nights rapidly getting shorter.

All processing (well experimenting really so far, on this one) in PI

post-11176-0-30517100-1428847251.png

• Like 21

Very nice, what camera did you shoot this with, the 314 ?

Sry.. that was a rushed post.. distracted by the smell of burning from me croissants (late lunch) :eek:

Yes, one of the trusty 314's. The scope is the C925 with reducer & Moonlite. Mount is EQ8. Acquired with ACP/Maxim.

Thanks for the comments & likes, much appreciated  :)

I don't seem to get a lot of time to process my hard won subs these days and my processing skills are not that great to start with!. I do want to revisit this one with more data & pull a lot more out. I'm hoping some Ha would help on this one too. I was experimenting a bit with this in PixInsight & thought I'd post it anyway as I think this is only the 2nd image I've posted this year if not this season! I'm trying to work out how to process in PI without it looking like a typical PI processed image, if you know what I mean. I must admit this is not as smooth as I'd like for the amount of data, I've been fighting so much blue coming through in this one too. I don't know if its been the poor seeing contributing to that in some way or not? Perhaps I should be more ruthless with my choice of subs (I have around another 4 hours worth I decided to not use!).

Imaging with the amount of backfocus the Moonlite/rotator (& weight!) adds to the C925 is a bit of a challenge. It's a lovely focuser but I don't think I'd get away with a larger chip. The edges are warp factor 99! Also for some reason I find the collimation even with Bobs Knobs of this scope a right pain too. I've had to apply some serious star reduction so I'm probably going to give in to star spikes next season & look for a RC instead.

That's a really nice image Graham. :smiley:

Jeff

Cheers Jeff.. looks like you're still up too.. trying to make the best of another clear night but poor seeing. Trying to make the best out of the 3 weeks we have left before we loose astronomical darkness until the 9th of August..  then we get 30 mins of it back again !!

I'm not in the obsy tonight, for some reason I just didn't feel like it, I'm just sitting about trying new processing techniques & getting nowhere fast!

Are you getting the Ha for this image or do you have a new target?

Jeff

I'm not in the obsy tonight, for some reason I just didn't feel like it, I'm just sitting about trying new processing techniques & getting nowhere fast!

Are you getting the Ha for this image or do you have a new target?

Jeff

Ah.. I decided I could try Ha on this one when it's even more less than perfect than it is tonight. So decided to try & complete my data set for NCG4565. Every other time I've tried it this year I only managed to get R before the clouds came in!

It's a bit finicky with guiding though.. why I've been baby sitting it at the moment rather than leaving ACP to it. There's stars in the OAG but they're too bright with the Lodestar. I've had to change binning to 4 but let ACP choose min exposure of .5 for it to pick the really feint ones to be happy... I'm normally happier with around 3 & bin 2.. (it was 9 secs before the meridian flip) to avoid chasing the seeing but I have to admit it's the flattest graph (the spikes the dither) I've had with an OAG at this focal length! Just wish the seeing was better.

Get those subs in... There'll be plenty of time for processing in May, June July & August mate... :grin:

Ahh.. here comes the cloud.. oh well

post-11176-0-31198000-1428890143_thumb.p

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now