SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MONSTER .........AR 2321

Solar_observer

Nice one Skem,

Michael mentioned these yesterday as they were emerging from the Western limb. Shane and I got a taste for them yesterday afternoon when we had some beaks in the cloud, some very promising flares will accompany them I hope :smiley:

I went to our local dark site last night and didn't get back till quite late and even though I can see sunshine through the curtains I am struggling to pull myself out of bed   :grin: The forecast is similar for today here, so fingers crossed for everyone.

Well, I got up :smiley: I have just set everything up ready to run, Its a bit hazy still so I am going to grab an extra 40 winks before it clears. I just hope it doesn't turn into 4000 winks and I miss it all, the forecast is back to clouds around midday :shocked: I am still cold to the bone from the adventure last night :cool:

Ermmmm.... very similar I would say, the continuum is green to view through with maybe a slight increase in granulation. The polarising filter gives the opportunity to adjust the brightness to adapt to the conditions and also bring out small amounts of granulation. I would say with time granulation could be increased in both filters using averted vision.

Summary:

I like the green and I like the white thus, both are handy to have in the toolkit. If I had to choose I would keep the polarising filter as it has multiple uses. IE, it can be used to view my other favourite target :laugh: The Moon and possibly Venus.

Oh my!

http://www.spaceweather.com/images2015/11apr15/hmi1898.gif?PHPSESSID=og5mb2o8tkvu5ef7fnkt1qpub3

That is one BIG Sunspot-clump coming around our star! Me thinks I'll be watching for auroras. Good stuff here today:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

A favorite website for the weather-forecast. Space weather that is.

Bright Day,

Dave

Counted 9 spots in the biggie this morning, three big penumbrals spots leading two of which are connected by an elongated north/south penumbral region. Quite unusual and intriguing configuration. Looking forward to seeing the full group fully on the disk. Fairly bright plage with it too when I viewed at 1200 UT remnant of the earlier M class flare.

AR2321 now fully on the disk. The north and south leading sunspots are not linked by penumbra but there is a large penumbral patch between them. Much the same configuration as yesterday but more smaller spots within the group. Bright plage around AR2320 as it nears the SW limb. There's also an interesting dark arrow head type filament just south-west of AR2323 and a fine T shaped filament in the NW quadrant. Four prominences but all pretty small stuff.

Looking forward to seeing this too! Maybe this afternoon if the sky becomes clear!

Ermmmm.... very similar I would say, the continuum is green to view through with maybe a slight increase in granulation. The polarising filter gives the opportunity to adjust the brightness to adapt to the conditions and also bring out small amounts of granulation. I would say with time granulation could be increased in both filters using averted vision.

Summary:

I like the green and I like the white thus, both are handy to have in the toolkit. If I had to choose I would keep the polarising filter as it has multiple uses. IE, it can be used to view my other favourite target :laugh: The Moon and possibly Venus.

Interesting comment Shaun. Thanks!

I have a variable polarising filter and, although I do not need it for decreasing the amount of solar brightness, I found it is a very useful tool to increase contrast of black spots.

The other day, I managed to see a few very small which were completely invisible without filter. Have not seen granulation yet, but I have just started.

Gorgeous sunspots! A real treat yesterday in great seeing in white light. H-alpha, not so many large proms as of late but no complaints with the new AR on the rampage. Good luck, all, well worth a look.

Good day here, still a bit of high cloud but getting great views of AR2321 with LS60 DS and Baader zoom zoomed right in and some nice proms close by.

Imaging at the same time with Quark and BFly so solar heaven here  :grin:

Dave

Archived