SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Electronic focusser for SW ED80

Fordos Moon

Any thoughts anyone? The weight of my Atik and efw2 means I need to tighten the grub screw fairly hard which pushes the focus a bit just after I've loosened it to make the focus sharp.

Any thoughts on improving my focussing by attaching an electronic focusser?

I bought a Lakeside motor focuser for my ED80 and don't regret it for one second. It works great as a manually operated motor-focuser for visual and works a charm when automated via ASCOM. The only tricky thing is to get to grips with the backlash in the stock Skywatcher focuser itself when configuring the Lakeside, as it takes a few motor stepper turns to start to reverse the focuser itself and that needs to be calculated and put in the settings for automated use. I am using Sequence Generator Pro and the autofocus routine now works excellently for me. It holds the focuser with my reducer/Atik 414ex and a 7 position StarlightXpress filterwheel with ease.

Cheers

Matt

I bought a Lakeside motor focuser for my ED80 and don't regret it for one second. It works great as a manually operated motor-focuser for visual and works a charm when automated via ASCOM. The only tricky thing is to get to grips with the backlash in the stock Skywatcher focuser itself when configuring the Lakeside, as it takes a few motor stepper turns to start to reverse the focuser itself and that needs to be calculated and put in the settings for automated use. I am using Sequence Generator Pro and the autofocus routine now works excellently for me. It holds the focuser with my reducer/Atik 414ex and a 7 position StarlightXpress filterwheel with ease.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt I will check that particular model out!

Archived