Hi from Northern Ireland!

derrylad

Hello there

Fair to say I am a complete novice when it comes to astronomy...... from Derry in Northern Ireland though so luckily not too far away from nice dark skies when the weather permits!
I would love to eventually be in a position to take nice images but loads to learn beforehand. Doesn't stop me messing around with my camera though! I have attached an image I took with my canon dslr (50mm lens). Noticed a couple of streaks on the shot, any ideas what they could be? 

post-43857-0-45250100-1428785530.jpg

should say this was a straight forward 10sec exposure and the camera was on a fixed tripod. This was the only shot with these streaks in it.

Thanks & looking forward to being on the forum

Caomhan

Hi there,

Welcome to SGL. Looks like those streaks are either satellites or meteorites. So a great start, I would recommend that you join your local astro group to see what others have and what suits you best. If you are intent on imaging do buy a copy of 'making every photon count'. This book will save you cash in the long run.

Hi there Caomhan, welcome to SGL.

Im thining those streaks are kinda long to be satellites in a 10 second exposure but they may be, if not

then I would say meteors but one would think either sats or meteors would show brighter in my opinion.

nice shot just the same bud.

cheers

Rick M

Hi and welcome to SGL - I think most of us imagers started off with a shot similar to yours then we got HOOKED :D Now we're all broke and we always moan about the weather :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi folks

Many thanks for the welcomes & replies....I think satellites is the more likely explanation but not gonna lie, I was sort of hoping you would all be telling me I somehow managed to capture 2 meteor trails!!  :grin:

Just enjoying looking up at the sky at the minute but a longer term goal is to get into the imaging side of things so will continue to practice using the basic kit that I have before making the step up! I am sure i will have plenty of questions between now and then though so bear with me!

Caomhan

Hi Caomhan and welcome to SGL, certainly an interesting image, definitely not iridium flares and Satellites would, in the most part, have a constant brightness as they track. Short duration meteors could fit the bill. You have done well to capture them, but if you recorded the time you took the image and know the sector of sky photographed, the free program "Heavens Above" by Chris Peat, should give you the necessary information of what satellites were passing at the time. Enjoy the forum and your Astronomy :)

Hi again everyone

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I went off and downloaded the 'Heavens above' app which looks very useful indeed and sure enough, at the time I took the photo there may have been at least 2 satellites over our skies and possibly in the part of the sky the photo covers. Would be pretty sure that's what I captured. 

Next step will be to buy the recommended 'Making every photon count' book! I am well aware of the costs associated with pursuing astrophotgraphy as a hobby so I am more than content to bide my time and learning about what's actually up there first. I do have some basic photographic gear (dslr camera, tripod, number of lenses) so i will be taking photos as I go. As some of you may be aware, we have some beautiful scenery in Ireland (North West) so I would be interested in some night-time landscape photography. I have 2 questions regarding this- 1) Can anyone point me towards some useful resources to learn more? 2) I would be interested in buying a lens that would provide nice wide angle images. I wouldn't be looking for anything too expensive, possible up to £300. Would you have any recommendations?

Thanks once again

• 1 month later...

Archived