Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fujiyama or Hutech Ortho

They may actually be from the same manufacturer. The optics, coatings and performance seem identical. The body length of the Astro Hutech is a litte different from the Fujiyama. Most of the Astro Hutech's are par focal with the Baader Genuine Ortho except the 6mm and 18mm which reach focus around 8mm further out. All the Fujiyama's seem to reach focus at the same point as the 6 and 18mm Astro Hutechs.

Just another option/thought..you can buy pairs of both 18mm and 10mm Baader Classic orthos new for c£200.

I have had both and they are optically every bit as good as the BGOs etc IMO..the build is lighter (which I actually find a benefit when doubling up in a binoviewer and they have smooth sides which don't interfere with diagonal's compression rings, unlike the safety undercuts on some versions.

Finally, they offer a 50 degree field which is sharp almost to the edge and the 10mm is a volcano top which some prefer (me included).

I think they are wonderful for the price.

Dave

John's post regarding Tak Erfle's is also worth considering..I still have the 10mm BCO's but I only sold the 18mm's as I managed to find a matching pair of Circle T Japan 20mm Erfles (one is branded Celestron but they are otherwise identical)..

These have a 60+ degree fov and are excellent- the only reason I let the 18mm BCO's go as the focal lengths were to similar. But I'd heartily recommend the BCO's to any binoviewer user.

Dave

They've just announced some orthos too.

Russell

Looks like a 4mm has joined the others that came out a few months back. I've been enquiring about them for a little while (Widescreen Centre, the UK Tak dealer were not even aware of them !) on the CN forum and the feedback is generally as Gerry says - very much in the Fujiyama / Baader GO area perhaps slightly better build ?. I like the look of the eyecups though. Tak are probably sensible not to try and put one on the 4mm !

Archived