Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomia Warranty Repairs

Would be great if FLO went another step further and started to do Part exchanges as Astronomia did. I'm sure that a lot of people would love to have a way to part of their second hand kit easily and without fuss.

I'm not sure adopting a business plan from a now defunct company would be a wise choice :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking of a beneficial service to astronomers.... I'm sure that part of the business plan wasn't a sole reason for their problems.

Speculation on my part of course..... But I'll bow out here as of course I have no idea.

Would be great if FLO went another step further and started to do Part exchanges as Astronomia did. I'm sure that a lot of people would love to have a way to part of their second hand kit easily and without fuss.

I'm not sure adopting a business plan from a now defunct company would be a wise choice :)

I was just thinking of a beneficial service to astronomers.... I'm sure that part of the business plan wasn't a sole reason for their problems.

Speculation on my part of course..... But I'll bow out here as of course I have no idea.

Thank-you for the suggestion Sara but auspom is right. It wouldn't work.

Astronomia's buy-back promise will have harmed them because, in this low margin industry, promising to buy back a telescope at full price can only result in a loss. Perhaps they were focused on short-term gain (we lost a number of sales to Astronomia because customers were attracted to the scheme). 

I think offering to handle their warranty claims is enough :smile: 

HTH, 

Steve 

Sad to see them go.

I live in Redhill so use to pop along to the Dorking shop occasionally and bought some accessories from them. When they moved down towards Horsham I knew that I would not be going to see them again as it was too far out of the way for me. Which is poor of me really because it was not actually that far but my laziness stopped me from bothering to go down there.

Their prices were higher than online prices which I guess is because of the ground rent and numerous other business issue that I have no idea on.

The founder Neil was (is!) a likeable chap and played a part in making Dorking and the surrounding areas more accessible to Astronomy. Star Party's at the Dorking fields as well as shows at the Dorking Halls all helped. Doubt will see anything else like that for a while.

Anyway I guess for the people who lose out then its an issue and hopefully they can get some or all of what's owed to them back... I guess once 'Administrators' come on board there is a list of who gets what and how much first.

They have something better...  Forget RHS Chelsea Show, Cowes, Glyndebourne or Henley...   The main event of summer is the FLO Sale  :smiley:

andrew

Astronomia's buy-back promise will have harmed them because, in this low margin industry, promising to buy back a telescope at full price can only result in a loss. Perhaps they were focused on short-term gain (we lost a number of sales to Astronomia because customers were attracted to the scheme).

Steve

What about just a trade in service, not a buy back.

In otherwords we trade in old stock against something new and FLO then sells the old stock in their clearance section for example.

What about just a trade in service, not a buy back.

In otherwords we trade in old stock against something new and FLO then sells the old stock in their clearance section for example.

We would like to offer part-ex and have explored the idea but considering the current secondhand prices available at SGL and ukastrobuysell, our need to offer a warranty, after-sales support and, dare I say, make a modest profit, I fear the amount we can offer to customers trading in their equipment would be embarrassing for them and us. Sorry  :blush:

Steve

Well done FLO, for offering to cover warranty repairs. We appreciate you didn't have to do that, and it's nice to see you guys going above and beyond what is expected...

As it happens, I discussed various aspects of their business plan in an informal, quasi- professional capacity over the last two years; I think it's fair to say they overextended themselves (particularly with their second retail site)- a classic mistake and a warning to all. It's a big shame for Neil and Adele, and more so for anyone who may have suffered indirectly as a consequence.

Re post on taking money the day before, the sad situation is that in the UK (unlike the US), bankruptcy laws are designed to operate that way. I.e. You can be trading one day, but the moment your accountant tells you that you are no longer viable, you are required by law to stop trading immediately (ie literally, the moment the meeting ends). In the US, companies are given up to one year to try to trade their way back into profit (protected from their banks) - unfortunately, that method is too business-friendly for the UK.

I am sorry for everyone involved...

Very sad to see these guys fold. I regularly worked down in Dorking a few years back and often walked into town to have a look around their shop. I seem to remember a really helpful young guy who worked there and I did buy various bits and bobs along the way. I'm surprised to see them go as they seemed to have become part of the Astro retailing establishment, though I often wondered how their generous trade in offers resulted in profit...

Steve, hats off to you and your team for at least trying to help sort out what you can from the demise of Astronomia.  I knew Neil and Adele a little.  Its always a shame when a business goes down - I know because I have been there...its the collapse of hopes and dreams.  I know for me it was a lot like losing a loved one, maybe even a child.  In short it hurts a lot and it took me almost 8 years to get over it and lose the bitterness.

Its sad to see Astronomia go as they were a solid supplier whole gave a lot of support to the local community as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/04/2015 at 11:45, FLO said:

We are receiving requests from Astronomia customers asking us to handle warranty repairs on products purchased at Astronomia. If the product is one available at our website (Celestron, Skywatcher, Vixen, Opticron, Baader, etc) we are happy to help :smile:

It has been two years since Astronomia ceased trading so, in theory, there should be no more warranty claims on products sold by them. Mission accomplished :smile: 

We are no longer accepting warranty claims on products purchased at Astronomia. 

Steve

Archived