Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC1805 (Melotte 15) in Bi colour

swag72

This is always a firm favourite of mine and it was one of the first images that I attempted with the 8" RC at the back end of last year. I was not happy with the original process (It never saw the light of day here) and so I decided amongst the poor weather I am having to give it another go, now that I feel more au fait with the specific processing required for the scope.

Details

M: Avalon Linear fast reverse

T: AT 8" RC CF

C: QSI690-wsg with 3nm Ha and OIII filters

17x1800s Ha

9x1800s OIII

totalling 13 hours.

post-5681-0-76393000-1428661786_thumb.jp

You can see a larger res version on my website http://swagastro.weebly.com/recent-images.html

Soft Gav? I can only think that this is due to the focal length that this is imaged with - There's certainly nothing out with the focus as far as I can tell. We are used to seeing this a little smaller in the frame - Interestingly I used Registar to get it to the same size as my FSQ85 data and it was as sharp if not a little more so when viewed alongside the Tak data at the same size.

Perhaps someone can explain the technicalities behind this phenomena for me?

One of my favourite targets and it's been on my list to get up close to for quite some time.

I think you've set the bar so high lately. It really is difficult to not sound as if one is "nit picking" in trying to find something other than "Wow" to say when looking at your images (I really loved that Cone!). As mentioned above maybe it is a tad bit softer compared to your others, but then it was as you say one of the first with a new scope. Could it be seeing, cooldown, focus? It's probably my glasses needing a clean ;)

But you know what, I'd be more than pleased to get anywhere near halfway to this as a final result! There, that's all the nit picking I can muster :)

I really don't consider anything as nit picking - I'm always happy to listen and take on board all comments :) I will go back to this for sure and check out the subs  - Thanks for commenting, I do appreciate it whether its considered nit picking or not :)

I'm not even sure it is focus Sara. It could just be something like contrast. Looking at in with your others on your website, it looks better. Almost as if it's some optical peculiarity when viewed in isolation.

Talking of contrast, that's something I miss when using the SCT. Your RC doesn't seem to have that problem looking at your other results lately. I'm not sure the normal seeing conditions in the UK helps me trying to image with an SCT at all. Think I might have to learn to like star spikes next season.. :grin:

Sara, there is a softness to this image. However, that isn't a 'complaint', it is merely an observation. I don't think that it is a focus issue at all. I have a feeling that it is just the long focal length and most probably just the area imaged, it must be a soft and cloudy area! Looking at your other images with this kit - Cone Nebula, Bok Globules & Horse Head - they appear to be sharper.

As you well know, I'm a big fan of your work and I know that you are interested in the critical eye perhaps more than simply praise, which is what is most often all one can offer for your images!

As for SCT softness, Sp@ce_d... Don't get me started.....!

I certainly do appreciate what you are saying and you know well enough Gav that I am more than happy to be pulled up at every point. Interesting observations about this one - I guess I can't offer any more suggestions except perhaps this is just a soft and fluffy area :D

SCT softness? ..... I definitely think that the RC is the better of the two..... in my experience.

Sara, there is a softness to this image. However, that isn't a 'complaint', it is merely an observation. I don't think that it is a focus issue at all. I have a feeling that it is just the long focal length and most probably just the area imaged, it must be a soft and cloudy area! Looking at your other images with this kit - Cone Nebula, Bok Globules & Horse Head - they appear to be sharper.

As you well know, I'm a big fan of your work and I know that you are interested in the critical eye perhaps more than simply praise, which is what is most often all one can offer for your images!

As for SCT softness, Sp@ce_d... Don't get me started.....!

:grin: :grin: well..  I can justifiably blame Sara for my SCT "softness"

It was her Tadpoles with a C925 that led me down that merry path in the first place... :)

What was I thinking... I forgot the golden rule.. "It's not the Tools but the Hands they're in" !!

Archived