Hello from Milton Keynes!!

bexinthecity

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful on asking for "Which scope", just about every option thinkable and a few that are not will be suggested.

There is a club in or around MK.

If you drive (suspect you do) then there clubs at St Neots and one at Cambridge.

How much do you know?

Always easy to ask as sometime I suspect I will end up talking to as astrophysicist who has a pretty good idea.

What do you want a scope to do?

Also a club at Bedford.

Careful on asking for "Which scope", just about every option thinkable and a few that are not will be suggested.

There is a club in or around MK.

If you drive (suspect you do) then there clubs at St Neots and one at Cambridge.

How much do you know?

Always easy to ask as sometime I suspect I will end up talking to as astrophysicist who has a pretty good idea.

What do you want a scope to do?

Sadly I don't drive :( 

I don't know all  that much to be honest because I only really started thinking about it properly last week (shocking I know!).

I am looking to get the Skywatcher 200PDS as I want to be able to at some point in the nearish future do astrophotography but for now I just want to observe and look around.

A whole week.

Known worse, probably done it myself at times.

As in: "Ooh, I want one of those!" and that means a few seconds thought, if that much with me.

The 200PDS is good just make sure that you see one first and one on a mount.

You need to be able to either take one apart on the mount and conversly assemble the 200P on to a mount, or be able to carry mount and scope as one unit.

The 200P will likely be on an EQ5 and the scope is at the top of the mounts comfort zone for astrophotography.

The oddity of AP is you do not need a big scope, a good AP scope is the 71mm William Optics Star 71 - somewhat smaller.

I would half suggest you look at the 150PDS on the EQ5 mount.

It is suitable to astrophotography nad a sit smaller then the 200PDS.

Not quite as suited to visual owing to the smaller diameter however.

A whole week.

Known worse, probably done it myself at times.

As in: "Ooh, I want one of those!" and that means a few seconds thought, if that much with me.

The 200PDS is good just make sure that you see one first and one on a mount.

You need to be able to either take one apart on the mount and conversly assemble the 200P on to a mount, or be able to carry mount and scope as one unit.

The 200P will likely be on an EQ5 and the scope is at the top of the mounts comfort zone for astrophotography.

The oddity of AP is you do not need a big scope, a good AP scope is the 71mm William Optics Star 71 - somewhat smaller.

I would half suggest you look at the 150PDS on the EQ5 mount.

It is suitable to astrophotography nad a sit smaller then the 200PDS.

Not quite as suited to visual owing to the smaller diameter however.

Thanks Ronin for the advice. Will do some extended research.

Hi Beccy welcome to S G L

The kit you are planing to purchase is heavy, and big, so I would take the advice

from those above and try before you buy, unless you are good at weights.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi and welcome

I have a SkyWatcher 200P and it is a great scope but it is quite heavy with the counterweights on the EQ5 mount. If you went forge 150p on the EQ5 mount there would not be much difference. Also the 200P takes up quite a bit of space storage wise. I have found it worth the effort but I can only echo the have a look and see before you buy advice

Hi Beccy & Welcome to SGL.  Good choice of scope, but I find it heavy to lift  both the ota and the base, hubby sets it up and and take  it down for me.  But I wouldn't change it, it's a great scope, I too am interested n in AP, perhaps further down the line may buy a refractor.  Here is a picture of the scope, it may give you some idea of size, if you can see one in the flesh, it will give you a better idea.  Good luck.

post-35641-0-51694600-1428615644_thumb.j

Archived