SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Scope has arrived !

Morning people,

Well it was a day late but my first scope has now arrived, feel like I am 10 years old again.

The other great news is that I now have 5 days off work.

Wonder if any of you guys and gals can give me some advice?

Sky conditions permitting, I am eager to get outside later this evening.

What can I do today to prepare, any advice would be great.

Don't forget I am a complete beginner so any advice no matter how small will be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Kev

Jupiter is nice and high at the moment, you will be able to see it from about 19:30.  Download Stellarium (it's free!) and set it up, you will be able to tell where the Orion Nebula and the Plaides are (these are a bit low in the sky by the time it gets dark but will still be visible). If your scope is a Dobsonian take it outside at least an hour beforehand to let it cool down.

As above from Kev, tell us which scope you have and people a lot more expert than me will be able to give you more help.

Just realised we have two Kevs here. I'm going to have to concentrate.

Make sure you set your finderscope up too on a distant object in daylight. Something a mile or so away is best. Will making finding things so much easier at night!

Although still low in the sky at this time of year, M13 is pretty spectacular. Arcturus and Herschel's Garnet star offer a nice bit of colour, Messier galaxies in Ursa Major are nice and high at the moment – Ms 81, 82 and the Whirlpool. As for setting up and preparing for the evening ... if you don't already have one, pop along to a camping shop and grab a red light torch, download a planetarium app for your smartphone/tablet (Stellarium/Google Sky Map, etc). Depending on your scope/mount combination, you may need to read up on polar aligning and balancing the telescope. Dress warmly.

Oh, and don't be in a rush. Take your time on objects, try different eyepieces and averted vision, and record your experiences in a journal or notebook.

Kev

hi and welcome to sgl. firstly what scope have you bought. if its a eq mount you need to get it balanced first. then align the finder as best you can on a object as far away as you can. same applies if you bought a dob except te balance bit. if its a sct/mak align the finder and try to focus as well, in case its well out of focus and for a newbie could be a mare tonight

Wow am blown away by all the replays, I am really starting to feel at home already thanks guys

My scope... I decided to go with the skywatcher 130p ( ordered some bino's as well but not arrived yet )

The 130p it had some good reviews and seemed a good choice for a complete newbie like myself, hope i picked well?

Just hoping for clear sky's prob like everyone else !

Cool... Aligning the finder during the day is a given.

But for a first night, if you can find a target such as Jupiter then great, but really just enjoy being blown away by your first views of Space and all it has to offer.

Congrat's

Cool... Aligning the finder during the day is a given.

But for a first night, if you can find a target such as Jupiter then great, but really just enjoy being blown away by your first views of Space and all it has to offer.

Congrat's

+1 for that, get your eyes used to the dark (look up dark adaption) and just be amazed at what you can see just by pointing the scope at what appears to be a blank area of sky. I still find it awesome, even when I am not looking at anything in particular.

Cheers guys

However I won't be doing anything tonight as whilst unpacking it I have noticed that part of the mount is snapped and in two bits.

Gutted does not come close to how I am feeling right now, but hey that's life.

I got it from First Light Optics and have just e:mailed them now am sure they will sort it as they seem to be a pretty good company from what most people say on here.

Will just have to wait for a return.

One the plus point my bino's should arrive in a day or two so will have a gander around with these.

Kev

dress warm, try to avoid going back inside if you can, have patience, keep your eyepieces capped and in a pocket so they don't start getting dew on them (pretty much game over when that happens). Don't touch the glass lenses! Have fun and don't expect to just be able to look straight at deep sky objects first time.

Archived