Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

JimS

Guiding using a webcam

Hello all,

I have done a little bit of manual guiding using my Logitech webcam through a StarTravel 80, but this has been imaging Orion Nebula where there is an easy bright guide star to use.

Last night, I tried to venture further and have a go at other targets such as Pinwheel galaxy and Whirlpool Galaxy. Both times I could not find a guide star at all through the webcam using SharpCap. I was initially going to use this as a test and then have a go at using PHD for the first time, however gave up as I just couldn't find a guide star and just did a couple of 30 second unguided images.

The webcam can pick up brighter stars such as Capella and Procyon (used these as part of my alignment process) but really seems to struggle on anything else, even with frame rate, exposure and gain pushed as far as they'll go. Would PHD be able to push the exposure of the webcam to be able to pick up stars or am I going to struggle from the outset? If so is there a cheap(?!) entry level guide cam available out there that someone could recommend?

Cheers

Jim

********** PLEASE DELETE THREAD ***************

I've created a new thread in getting started in imaging.