SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Hull

Roysten

Hi all, I've always been interested in space, used to love looking at the moon with my little toy telescope as a child and this last year have been discovering what's up there to be enjoyed.

Last year I bought a Celestron Travelscope 70, with it I saw Jupiter and its moons properly for the first time. Not wanting it to be a flash-in-the-pan interest I spent a year fiddling with the little scope finding out first hand how important a sturdy mount is! I recently upgraded after a bit of research to a Skywatcher Explorer 150P. Far from a flash in the pan I'm now trying to get out as often as it's clear (sadly not as often as I'd like) and am hoping to catch a glimpse of everything I can.

In the last couple of weeks I've taken part a webcam after finding the results from holding a smartphone over eyepieces in the hand-shaking cold not yielding much in the way of results. I'm now finding myself spending nights trying to figure out Registax and pondering filters to improve my images. I really think I've opened Pandora's box here!

I'm looking forward to learning from the various experienced individuals who post here and in sharing my own misadventures.

I'm pondering going to the East Riding Astronomy, I'd be very interested in hearing from people who have been before!

Roysten.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to the lounge! I'm just down the m62 near Goole, it's not clear as often as I'd like thanks to the cloud factory better known as Drax power station!!! I'm just starting out in astrophotography and trying to figure out registax but I'm useless with computers so it's going to take some time I reckon. I don't think the stars are going anywhere so I've time to learn how to image them.

Welcome, I have a Celestron Travelscope 70 too. It is a pretty good short-tube refractor for its price. And yes, the photo tripod that comes with the scope is simply "better than handheld". I use an EQ-1 mount with it, more for stability and slow-motion controls rather than the benefit of tracking. 

Hi and welcome.

We have a regular from near Hull that comes to the North Lincs astro society just across the river. See link below

Lots of registax experts in the group that will help answer all of your questions.

Your 1st meeting is free entry

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Johnimac25 - small world, I work in Goole and know the Drax clouds all too well.

Rocket_the_Racoon - I've enjoyed the Travelscope, really good to carry round too!

Damnut/NGC404 - Thanks for the advice, I think it's gonna be a good way to learn a lot!

Archived