Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 06-04-2015

John

Jupiter is looking good just now (20:25 hrs) :smiley:

The Great Red Spot is in transit as is Io's shadow. Io itself has just cleared the limb of the planet finishing it's transit.

There seems to be an interesting pale rift in the dark streak that runs along the S edge of the SEB framing the E side of the GRS. It's just NE of the GRS itself and adjacent to it. I thought it was a white oval initially but it seems to be a rift or break in the darker cloud band showing much paler colour, perhaps deeper in the atmosphere ?

Seeing somewhat better than last night so 265x is proving useful with the 12" dob.

Nice to be observing without having to wear too many layers :smiley:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, a great nights viewing of Jupiter.

I have found that with really dark nights, Jupiter seems to glare too much, the twilight seems to give better views.

The jet stream is missing us at the moment also, which helps as well.

Sorry to hear that David. It's variable here - good one minute then you loose the definition for a few moments. We had 3 clear nights at the SGL star party but the seeing was not great for Jupiter on any of them.  Better for DSO's though. I usually get it the other way around here at home.

Just come in from observing GRS and Io transit, seeing was reasonable at first,

but sea mist and cloud rolled in, pity, I was enjoying the views.

Also observed Venus for a while, good but not great, to much turbulence to get

a decent view. 

Wow between 20:30-21:30 it was stunning here.  Lots of belts & GRS, shadow leaving limb.  Seeing conditions gradually got worse but for the short time no patience was needed for the most patient of hobbies.   Brilliant show. :) 

It's still OK here. I'm just waiting for the conjunction of Europa and Io.

Well that was fun :smiley:

Europa and Io passed by each other (as an optical alignment) at around 22:36 BST. At the closest point there can't have been more than an arc second or so of dark space separating them. For a few moments it looked as if a really nice close double star system had parked itself next door to Jupiter, except the moons showed definate disks. Observed this little show at 400x which was to much for Jupiter of course but showed the moon pairing well.

Watching stuff like this unfold while you are peering at it is fascinating. The motion is really quite fast and the moment where the two moons were closest only seemed to last a few moments before the gap between them was widening. Like those computer simulations but for real :grin:

Despite being 'promised' clear skies by CO, it was pretty much clouded out here (Dave, I got my just deserts!)

I had the 12" f6 out cooling and managed some surprisingly good views in the few clearish spells which came across. Occasionally it cleared when the seeing was good and the views were lovely.

GRS looking quite colourful, pale pinky orange perhaps? Io's shadow was nice and sharp as normal. Plenty of detail there but not enough time to properly pick out the features you describe John.

Anyway, I've not used this scope many times since its re-build and I'm pleased with the performance. Next time.....

Hope you get a longer session with that scope soon Stu - it all sounds very promising though :smiley:

I was reminded of salmon pink when I viewed the GRS this evening. Shades of white, cream, tan and chocolate for the other disk details and black velvet for Io's shadow.  

Whilst waiting for the conjunction I took in Iota Cancri, I like to watch this enter the FOV from the side as the colour differentiation then has more impact, M44, M67, M53, M64 which I always find dissappointing and M94 which revealed its bright core and tight spirals tonight. Then the moon and the fog started to interfere. Very enjoyable. Thanks for posting.

Jupoiter was amazing last night, only my second time properly using the Skywatcher 150PL scope. Not only did I see the end of Io's transit and its shadow, the GRS was really clear and I could even see a wisp of white between it and the band at times.

This was the first time I saw the temperate bands clearly. The scope is showing me vastly more detail than I epxpected from my experience with a basic 76mm scope.

Got a brief view of M42 tahn packed  up - as my stepson appeared in time to miss teh show, so I handed him binoculars - and then the ISS went over right on cue!

I had a mini star party last night :) the seeing at twilight and upto 9 was very good here the GRS and Io shadow was great to watch and the band detail was excellent. Everyine including my next door neighbour thoroughly enjoyed themselves :)

Enjoyed a good observing period last night, perched on my observers chair, using an 8" dob and like others caught the Io shadow transit and GRS which was pronounced. The temperate belts also displayed good clarity, cant be certain if I caught a glimpse of the oval.  It was good to stay with one e.p, my 6mm delos 200X was just right, I could have applied more power if I had a 5mm to hand. After a brief period, I used the TV planetary filter, this may, as some have commented, diminish some subtle detailing, though gaining an etched contrast, highlighting more prominent features, I like the tone. This Jupiter season has been highly enjoyable,  just don't want it to end.

Interesting feedback on the TV planetary filter Iain. I found it the same which was not really what I was looking for. I've no problem seeing the more contrasty features well without a filter, it was the more subtle ones that I was hoping for some enhancement with. If it had done that I might have been able to put up with the pink tone from time to time but as it was I decided that it was not for me so back it went. Filter preferences are quite personal though so I can see that others may feel it does a good job for them.

There have been some very nice views of Jupiter this season, I agree :smiley:

Over the last couple of weeks I've had some great views of Jupiter. I like to make little doodles to help me see better, even when the seeing isn't so good. Last night 09/04/15, the seeing was particularly bad, in fact it was akin to looking through running water at times. However with a little perseverance and pencil in hand, I managed a rather pleasing impression of the detail that fleetingly revealed itself.

Mike :-)post-41880-0-52524900-1428699826_thumb.j

Jupiter has been quite spectacular in the haze. Last night I had stunning moments of clarity with the 200 f6 Newt.

The GRS appeared on the limb, ahead in the southern belt were several long rifts. Some of the narrower belts snapped into sharp lines. This was at about 200-x250.

Always worth a shot when haze and murk arrive,

Nick.

It's those "stunning moments" that we live for when observing the planets :smiley:

Very, very occasionally you get a night when the moments are elongated and you get decently long periods of stunning viewing when you can really see what your scope can do. I can count the number of those that I've had on the fingers of one hand I reckon but we still observe in hope :smiley:

It's really not bad tonight as it happens. 265x is very sharp on Jupiter and the details are excellently displayed.

Archived