Getting started with Zhumell Z10 - Advice Please :)

Hi all,

I just recently joined this forum in hopes of learning more about amateur astronomy, and so far this place has been very helpful! Reading through numerous posts, I decided to purchase a 10" Dob, and I settled on the Zhumell Z10 largely due to the fact that it was the cheapest commercially available 10" Dob I could find. And I have to say, I am beyond pleased with my purchase!! The views through the 30mm eyepiece are gorgeous!

The skies finally opened up a bit last night, so I was able to point the scope at a few of our closer neighbors such as Jupiter and the Moon. I've attached a few preliminary photos I took by holding up my iPhone to the supplied 30mm eyepiece, and I have to say I was very surprised by the level of detail you could see on the Moon. And I wasn't expecting to see the Galilean moons of Jupiter so easily as well, they're way brighter than I thought!! The photo of course doesn't do it justice because it was taken with my phone...

But anyway, moving forward, I do have some questions for you all so hopefully you can help me out here.

1. How do you all go about transporting your Dobs? 

I settled on a 10" because it seemed like a manageable size to transport while offering maximum aperture, but now that I've got it I realize that the OTA is quite a bit larger than I imagined. It's a bit awkward to move and I'm afraid of dropping it every time I pick it up, so I was hoping to get a few basic tips on how to move it safely and effectively. A handle or something along that effect on the OTA would be great, as I don't feel so comfortable picking it up by the altitude adjustment knobs on the sides. They rotate quite easily and I'm afraid of it rotating and the tube dropping while I carry it, so was hoping you all could share how you go about moving your large Dobs from point A to B. I should also mention that I live in a 2nd story apartment that requires me to go up and down stairs every time I use it, so a cart of dolly isn't going to be of much help :/

2. Where can I purchase a spare dust cap for my scope?

I'd really like to try some solar observing and imaging as well, but I'd like to do it on a budget if possible, so I was hoping to get a spare dust cap to make an off-axis solar filter with it using Baader solar film. I've found that some scopes come with a cutout in the dust cap, but I can't seem to find anywhere on the web that sells them. Can you guys point me in the direction of a vendor that carries these?

3. How do I align the finder with the primary mirror?

Collimating the mirrors was a bit of a challenge due to the laser collimator being out of alignment, but I finally figured it out by adjusting the small allen screws in it. However, I can't seem to align the finder to the main scope, it's always off by a bit compared to the views through the eyepiece. Is that acceptable? If not, could I get some tips on this alignment?

Thank you all, and sorry for the long winded post... but I would appreciate any and all help you can provide! :)

post-43165-0-95492200-1428344382.pngpost-43165-0-27147100-1428344380.png

Hi KrayzieFox,

I’m new to amateur astronomy as well and I have had nothing but great answers and information from forum members. Since the site is UK based, just be patient and I am sure more experienced members will chime in.

I recently purchurced a 12” dob so I know what you mean about the size. I wasn’t planning on it, but I am definitely going to build an observatory. It won’t be much more than a shed, but it doesn’t seem practical to keep lugging my dob outside and then back in.  I live about 10 minutes from some of the darkest skies you can get in Michigan, so for the nights where I know weather will be good and skies clear, I’m planning on building a travel case made out of plywood. I am going to use the inner box the scope came in as a stencil. I am also going to glue the styrofoam  the way it is located inside the box and then glue felt over the inside box and Styrofoam kind of like a case for a string or brass instrument. I would say for now, try the buddy system for moving your dob.

I think the Orion skylines have the same dimensions for tubes, but telescopes.com is closed as I write this message; you could call them tomorrow and see if they have replacement caps.

I think what you are experiencing with the finder scope is normal. You might have to upgrade to get a more precise alignment. I like the finder scope that came with my skyline, but it doesn’t align perfectly either. More experienced forum members will probably be able to give you a better answer.

Hi KrazieFox, I don't have a DOB, but I do have a 254mm (10") OTA & I find it will sit across the back seat of my car fairly confortably....

I'm not sure about your dust cap, but mine has 2 smaller caps\handles in the middle, one of which can be removed, under which I've taped in place some Baader film. 

As for you collimation problems, a lot of the laser pointers you'll fine are not collimated themselves, so first off get a collimation cap like this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.html and then use one of these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html to achieve collimation.

You can use a laser collimator, but you need to spend more money for a better one e.g. Baader or Hotech.

There are plenty of links\videos on the web showing how to do collimation, so don't be put off..

Wishing you clear skies

You asked: "

3. How do I align the finder with the primary mirror?

Collimating the mirrors was a bit of a challenge due to the laser collimator being out of alignment, but I finally figured it out by adjusting the small allen screws in it. However, I can't seem to align the finder to the main scope, it's always off by a bit compared to the views through the eyepiece. Is that acceptable? If not, could I get some tips on this alignment?"

I find the best way to align a finder is by doing it in the daytime. Focus your scope on a distant object, like a church steeple. Use a high-power eyepiece as you want to be as accurate as possible. Then lock the scope there, or simply don't let it be moved about. Looking at what is dead-center in your eyepiece, adjust the bolts on your finder-base to move the dead-center view in the finder matches the dead-center view in your high-power eyepiece (or EP as we tend to abbreviate it). That should be fine.

The reason to do this with a terrestial object in the day is that, unlike stars at night, the object won't move across your field-of-view (F.O.V.) due to the Earth's rotation - which is also magnified in your EP on a nighttime object out in space.

Hope this helps. You can fine-tune it at night, but you should be close enough.

As for collimation, grab a copy of this:

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

This is one of the most lucid and accurate collimation guides I've ever seen. Astro baby is also a member here.

Clear Skies,

Dave

Thank you all for your feedback!

I've managed to align the finder with the scope, but collimation still remains a bit of a mystery. I aligned the collimator using the adjustment bolts in the housing, but two days later it's out of alignment again.. that tool is kind of a piece of junk huh?

I'll definitely give that collimation article a close read, thanks Dave!

And Dr Ju Ju, I've definitely seen those types of dust caps, but mine is just a flat piece of plastic. Do you or anyone else know where one could buy a dust cap like that?

Hi I don't know where you would buy one in the USA but the Skywatcher OTA end caps have a removeable small end cap for reducing aperture.

Are you sure that the Zhumel does not, because even experienced folk miss the fact that the handy protrusion for removing the cap is actually removeable to provide about 2" of opening. Try pushing from the inside if your cap has a bulge.

Cheers,

Rich

Archived